Beginner shares tank pics

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DonnBallenger

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
here are a few pics of both mine and my sisters tanks. im not very good at decorating and arranging them, so please feel free to comment and make suggestions (good or bad!)

My tank is a mix of both fake and live plants and some rocks and such I've picked up over the years. There's definatly no theme to be found...just a collection of junk I thought would look nice. It houses a 5" (and still growing!) tiger striped oscar and a 4" (and rapidly growing) albino clawed frog as well as a 3.5" common pleco.

My sisters tank has an asian theme to match her living room. Thats actually my first 10gal with a few inert stone figurines she was willing to let me sink to the bottom of the tank. Her tank contains a pair of tiger barbs a dwarf frog and a pair of yet-to-be identified orange fish that sort of look like neons...only without the coloring.

Attachments

• pict0018_152.jpg
    pict0018_152.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 38
  • pict0003_107.jpg
    pict0003_107.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 40
Hows that second tank working out? Looks like it might be a bit harder to clean w/ the big substrate. Does all the uneaten food/fish poo fall through and accumlate in there?

here's a few more pics.

it is a bit harder to clean with the large rocks. i usually remove the larger decorations (the big rock, the driftwood and the fake coral) and honestly, i feel that i get it cleaner this way.

Attachments

• pict0020_484.jpg
    pict0020_484.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 235
  • picture_005_865.jpg
    picture_005_865.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 235
hc8719 said:
how bigs your acf? you keep any fish with him?

The froggy lives in the 50gal with the oscar and the pleco. He's about 4" long. I've heard that they're vicious little creatures, but this little guy is only a worry to those that will fit in his mouth. He and the oscar are great pals...maybe a little too close....

Attachments

• rideemcowboy2_168.jpg
    rideemcowboy2_168.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 200
mines about that size too...

when i needed to put some male cherry barbs in qt, i just put them in with the acf, and i seriously didnt think he could of eatten them, (she was smaller at the time) and she didnt touch them for like 2 weeks, then bam, w barbs are gone in an hour...

they say the like to be with others of their species, but it ended up killing all my adfs, and a baby acf.

im thinking about rescuing another from wal-mart (why do they put them in those cups?) and raising him in a different tank until he gets bigger to introduce to my current acfs tank

between the oscar and the frog, they chomp thru a dozen good-sized goldfish in 2-3 days. he and the oscar have a nice system where the oscar nips the feeders' fins and once they've been sufficiently wounded, the frog jumps in for the kill. I'm pretty sure he's capable of catching his own meals, but if i had a great big pal who did half my work for me, I'd take full advantage of it too!

I also got my ACF from wal-mart, but he wasnt in a cup. he was in a 10gal all by himself. The guy who dipped him out for me told me that he couldn't bear to see him in that tiny little cup...and now that I see how active he is in my 50gal, constantly swimming up and down and side to side, diving and floating and digging thru the rocks for bits of leftovers, it makes me want to "liberate" more of them myself.

Back
Top Bottom