Beginner wanting to set up aquarium... Need help !

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bytan83

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everyone, I'm posting for the first time and am a newbie in fish keeping. I've got lots of questions so sorry for my long post.

I want to set up a planted tank. I live in a tiny apartment so unfortunately I can only get a small aquarium.
I was thinking of getting the Aqua-one AR380 tank http://www.aquaone.com.au/curvedglass_aqtanks(ar126_ar510).htm
It has a 34L (about 9 US gallons) capacity. The tank has one 11 or 12watt, 8000K lighting. My first question is whether this is a good tank to get? Also, will that lighting be sufficient for a planted tank? The guy at the lfs told me that it is sufficient for low light plants like java fern, anubias.

Also do I need to get a CO2 system? I was thinking of getting the Nutrafin CO2 system (I know that I can save some money by just making a DIY CO2 system but I'm new to this hobby so I figured it'll be easier to just buy it).
For the substrate, the guy told me to use mixed gravel (3mm-6mm) an some fertilizer to add with the substrate. Does this sound about right?

I also need to know how I should cycle my tank. I've read that if u have plants in the tank u don't need to do fishless cycling?

Basically, I need to know what I need to do step by step. I am still looking at different aquarium stores and learning cause I want to make sure I get it right before I go ahead with it! I know some of my questions sounds ignorant to the more advanced fish keepers and im sure u guys have to answer questions like this all the time but I'm finding all the information quite overwhelming and need step by step help! Thanks guys :) ![/center][/list]

You would have just over 1 watt of light per gallon (12 watts/9 gallons) of water which will be fine for lower plants as suggested. You would not need to look into CO2 unless you were considering higher light (about 2+ watts per gallon). For the substrate, many of these easier plants will do just fine with gravel--in fact, a lot of them wouldn't even require fertilizing other than fish waste. However, you may find it easier to go with sand or better yet a plant substrate like Eco-Complete. With the plant substrate, you wouldn't need to fertilize with even more demanding plants.
As for your cycling question, it is my understanding that you can get away without a traditional cycle if you are using high light and fast growing plants. The idea is that the plants would consume the nitrogenous waste from your fish. However, at lower light, you are probably better off going with a traditional cycle. The idea is very simple. Set up the tank and filter and simply add either a shrimp from the grocery store and it will decompose gradually releasing ammonia in the system. In time, bacteria will grow in your filter which will consume the ammonia and turn it into nitrite. Another bacteria will eventually grow in that will turn nitrite to nitrate. When that has happened, you're ready for fish. The alternative approach (and my personal preference) is to dose directly with liquid ammonia (a cleanser--you just need to be sure that it is pure ammonia; I found mine at ACE hardware). The advantage of the shrimp is that it is drop and forget. The advantage of the ammonia is that in principle, it is a little faster (you will have a fair amount of ammonia on day 1 as opposed to waiting for the decay) and you don't have to look at a disgusting decaying shrimp.
Keep asking questions :)
Hope that helps,
Chris

Thanks for your reply Chris!
If I choose the shrimp way of cycling how long should I expect before the tank is ready as opposed to adding ammonia? I might actually go with the shrimps (the idea of drop and forget sounds good to me). What sort of raw shrimp do i need and how many for the size of the tank?

Again excuse my newbieness but should i set up the tank with gravel and then cycle it and only add plants when the tank is fully cycled or do I add the plants straight away from the start ? Also considering the tank has low light (and i might not now get CO2 as you suggested), is there a limit of a number of plants that I can have .... how much should I plant?
Thanks !

Using the shrimp instead of pure ammonia may take up to 4x as long, we are talking months rather than weeks. I'm not sure how well low light plants soak up nutrients, but I think if you threw in some anacharis to begin with it would use up all the ammonia/nitrite/nitrates that were produced.

You should set up the plants, gravel, filter, and EVERYTHING except for the fish. By adding the plants you will also bring in some bacteria from thier previous tank, which should help. Then add shrimp, fish food, or whatever that will decay and produce ammonia, or straight ammonia with no surfectants. This will get you going. There are many articles on fishless cycling on the net.

i would also advise against the nutrafin co2, or any co2 @ 1 wpg. Is the light a compact fluorescent? You could consider getting a new bulb closer to 6700K, but it's not imperative.

EDIT: I always suggest planting as much as space and $$ will allow!

Here is a link for a 10 gallon planted tank that does not involve CO2--some inspiration:
http://aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=58558

As for the cycle, all you need is a single cocktail shrimp from the seafood department of your grocery store. That would be more than sufficient. I cannot say with certainty, but my inclination would be to hold off planting until the cycle is finished. While you would not have enough growth to have the plants completely consume the ammonia produced by your fish, it is likely that the amount they would consume could possibly delay the cycle. I admit, I am just guessing here. What it comes down to is patience can be hard enough to come by during the cycle--I would hate to find that there was anything interfering with it. :)

I had my 70gal planted from the beginning (in fact I've planted all my tanks from the beginnning), never had a problem. In fact, if you plant later, all the nutrients might be consumed by a big algae outbreak, which you won't have or only small if you plant from the beginning.

I've cycled my tanks only with fishfood (and like I've said the plants) and it took me 4-5weeks, not months!!

That 10g tank in the link is beautiful, something to aspire to.
Sounds like takes a while to cycle with shrimp so I'm considering the pure ammonia route now instead. I believe the light that comes with the tank is a compact fluorescent. I just had a thought... if I wanted to have more lighting, is it ok to use one of those desk lamps with a compact fluorescent bulb in addition to the light that the tank already has ?
At this stage, I think the plan is to set up filter, gravel, driftwood, plants, everything except fish and then begin fishless cycling with ammonia. And if using desk lamp with compact fluorescent bulb is feasible and I decide to go with that I might add CO2 too.
Please tell me if i'm going down the wrong track here. :)

PS What drops do I need to add to tap water before putting it in the tank? Eg removing chlorine , chloramine , anything else?

Hmm that's interesting that it only took you 4-5 weeks to cycle with just fish food. I guess I'll hear what other people have to say and think about what I will do!

is it ok to use one of those desk lamps with a compact fluorescent bulb in addition to the light that the tank already has ?
If you make it save somehow yes. But make sure also evaporating water doesn't get to the electric parts.

PS What drops do I need to add to tap water before putting it in the tank?
Prime is everybodys favourite around here. It's highly concentrated and will last you quite long. Whatever you get make sure it removes chlorines, chloramines, and heavy metals.

My cycle took about 3 weeks with pure ammonia. I think that no matter how you go (ammonia/shrimp/food/etc.), you would be talking about 1 month. As there are a lot of variables, it's difficult to say what the absolute best way to go is.

The only thing you should have to add to your water is a dechlorinator (for example, SeaChem's prime). If you get into higher lighting and CO2, you might eventually want to look into fertilizers.

Two things to consider as far as using the desk lamp. One is the color of the bulb. Your plants are going to get the best use out of light that is rated between about 6,000 and 10,000 K. That is not likely to pose a problem. The other thing to think about is how the light is dispersed. A strip light for a fish tank is designed to direct the light into the tank. However, other lights (for example, a shop light) are designed to distribute the light over a much greater area (say the entire room).

Back
Top Bottom