Beginning of an algaue bloom?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ilikefishes

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi everyone. I think my tank is developing algae. I've been seeing some green on my bubble wall, and on my co2 diffuser ladder. I don't know my water parameters, I'll get them tomorrow after a water change.

But if it is the start of an algae bloom what should I do?

I have been using plant tabs once a month, and 8 drops of plant food a day. and its not heavily planted. Is it just the nitrate level is too high?

I would test prior to a water change, after a water change you will have removed alot of information as to what could have caused it.

A few questions:

1- Do you have pictures of the algae?
2- What type and brands of fertilizers are you using?
3- Size of aquarium and amount of light, also how many hours a day?
4- What kind of filtration and flow does the tank have?
5- Are you running the air pump and CO2 at the same time?

Please test prior to a water change as that will give you accurate readings of the tank as it sits.

Craig

1.No pics. I don't have a camera that's good enough to take pictures of the tank.
2. Jungle plant tabs, and Kent Iron and Manganese.
3. 29g, with a Coralife light with the Actinic and 6500 daylight. about 14 hours a day.
4. Aquaclear 50 on middle setting.
5. Yes, I can't remove the plant system, it's the Nutrafin plant system.

1- does the algae look like small green spots (GSA) it will appear on the glass and what not most noticably. Here is a good site to find what you have: James' Planted Tank - Algae Guide
2- You may need to dose NPK based fertilizers either from flourish line or by purchasing dry fertilizers from greenleafaquariums.com or aquariumfertilizer.com and get a good dosing setup. Currently other then the tabs your only dosing Iron and Mg a good balanced Trace mix would be adviseable also.
3- That is alot of light you really need a good stable source of CO2 and fertilizers- I am going to assume this is 2 65 watt bulbs? Also the actinic isn't going to do anything for your plants you would be better off with a 10000k bulb or less. I liek the looks of the 8800k and they can be found online for about $15 ea.
4- Are you running the water level as high as possible to reduce splashing and off gasing of your CO2.
5- Can you get seperate timers for the air pump and CO2 as the air pump is probably off gasing al lthe co2 going in to the tank. Wiht CO2 running at most you only need the air pump at night.

I forgot to metion that I only run the air pump at night.

And I probably can get timers. but yeah I'm thinking about reducing the time of the light to around ten hours. that might help.

The algae so far is green dots and it's only on the diffuser and the bubble wall.

That doesn't necessarily sound like an algae "bloom". It sounds more like an imbalance of nutrients that is causing that type of algae. More frequent water changes can help rid you of that pest. Also, this isn't proven by any means, but some have suggested turning the lights off for a couple hours during the middle of the day to break up the constant light. Algae is apparently a lot less tolerant of fluctuations in lighting than standard plants are. I experimented with it and noticed a drop off in the number of green "dots" that were on my glass.

Water changes are definitely the best route to take with that type of algae though.

I would not have the lights on more than 10 hours per day, and would recommend 8 hours until you get everything under control. You need to give us the exact specs of the light fixture. How many watts, what type (CF?), how many bulbs, etc. If indeed you have 2 X65w but one completely actinic you don't have a tremendous amount of light on the tank. I would be willing to guess you're just running them a bit too long.

I think it is running them too long. The problem is I turn them on in the morning and don't get home until about 12 hours later :/ busy busy busy.

How about the addition of a pair of gold algae eaters? or the siamese flying fox since my pleco addicted to the left back corner of my tank?

You are definitely a candidate for the split photo period. Have the lights go on sometime in the morning for 4 hours, take a break for a couple hours, and then have them on so you get some time to enjoy them when done work.

invest in a timer. the money you spend will be well worth it compared to the trouble of getting rid of algae when it does come. the split photo period works wonderfully. i've done if for a while now with NO algae problems at all. 4 hours on, 4 hours off, 4 hours on, off till the next day.

invest in a timer. the money you spend will be well worth it compared to the trouble of getting rid of algae when it does come. the split photo period works wonderfully. i've done if for a while now with NO algae problems at all. 4 hours on, 4 hours off, 4 hours on, off till the next day.

This is exactly how I do it as well with no algae build up.

Also, if it is the green spot algae that you are plagued with, the Chinese Algae Eater and Siamese Algae Eater won't help you much. That type of algae is best removed manually and even then is pretty tough to do.

Back
Top Bottom