Behavioral habits of an angelfish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bblacrosse

Aquarium Advice Regular
Have an angelfish (The small breed) and I have never owned one before. It is sort of shy and it stays at the back of the tank. Is this normal? I need to know some behavioral habits.

i don't know that there is a "small" breed. ;) but it's natural for angels to be secluded while they are still getting used to the tank. just stay very calm around the tank and he'll eventually warm up... especially once he realized who feeds him ;)

blackmolly said:
i don't know that there is a "small" breed. ;) but it's natural for angels to be secluded while they are still getting used to the tank. just stay very calm around the tank and he'll eventually warm up... especially once he realized who feeds him ;)

Thank you. :) but the label at the pet store had two tanks of species, angelfish and small angelfish. Weird :)

that is just two different ages of the same angelfish. that basically is saying "baby fish" and "adult fish" not two different breeds ;) i hate it when stores do that, because it just spreads false information. they will grow to be the size (if not bigger) of that large angelfish that you saw at the store.

blackmolly said:
that is just two different ages of the same angelfish. that basically is saying "baby fish" and "adult fish" not two different breeds ;) i hate it when stores do that, because it just spreads false information. they will grow to be the size (if not bigger) of that large angelfish that you saw at the store.

Well that's not good... I only have a 15 gallon tank! I am such a newbie. :(

My friend keeps 2 angels in a heavily heavily heaaavily planted tank (Hardcore co2, dwarf tears, an insane light fixture for $120 and she is still adding.

Moss everywhere it's amazing...

I don't know how big angels get but some cichlids to get very large and I have no experience with these cichlids I think you have to ask if you can get away with an angel.

Hooray for angels! Yeah, its pretty common for them to be rather shy when they are small or in a new environment. No worries.
I agree that stores very commonly label fish in sizes and doesn't mean anything about the actual species. :) But hey, that makes this an awesome time to get a bigger tank! Hooray!

Back
Top Bottom