Beneficial bacteria

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RyanBenson

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ok, so I've had my tank for about 2 weeks now and from what I've researched I need to change the filter cartridge every 2 weeks! My tank is still in cycle but I was wondering if the BB forms on the cartridge or in the filter on the edges. I don't want to completely remove the BB if its on the cartridge.. Help please! :)

The companies that make the filters typically recommend replacing the pads every 30 days. However, most people on this forum will tell you to only replace it when it's about to fall completely apart. Instead, place it in a container with tank water (NOT tap water) and swish it about to get rid of any big church's that might be clogging it.
When it looks like its getting close to replacement time, then pop a second pad in next to the original for a month or two so that it can start building it's own colony of BB.

The companies that make the filters typically recommend replacing the pads every 30 days. However, most people on this forum will tell you to only replace it when it's about to fall completely apart. Instead, place it in a container with tank water (NOT tap water) and swish it about to get rid of any big church's that might be clogging it.
When it looks like its getting close to replacement time, then pop a second pad in next to the original for a month or two so that it can start building it's own colony of BB.

Oh ok, so ill have 2 cartridges in the filter for about a month??

Changing Filter Media

Ok, so I've had my tank for about 2 weeks now and from what I've researched I need to change the filter cartridge every 2 weeks! My tank is still in cycle but I was wondering if the BB forms on the cartridge or in the filter on the edges. I don't want to completely remove the BB if its on the cartridge.. Help please! :)

Hello again RB...

If your tank is cycling, you don't want to change the filter media. That's where most of your good bacteria lives. Specifically, the good bacteria lives on anything with a surface inside the tank. You don't need to change anything in the tank during the cycling process except 25 to 30 percent of the water when you have a positive test for ammonia or nitrite. When several daily tests read "0" for these two toxins, your tank is cycled.

Just test the water in the tank every day, change out the water when needed and leave everything else alone until the tank is cycled. The process normally takes 4-6 weeks.

B

Hello again RB...

If your tank is cycling, you don't want to change the filter media. That's where most of your good bacteria lives. Specifically, the good bacteria lives on anything with a surface inside the tank. You don't need to change anything in the tank during the cycling process except 25 to 30 percent of the water when you have a positive test for ammonia or nitrite. When several daily tests read "0" for these two toxins, your tank is cycled.

Just test the water in the tank every day, change out the water when needed and leave everything else alone until the tank is cycled. The process normally takes 4-6 weeks.

B

Ok cool, that's description I was needing! Thanks!!

Can't stress that point enough. Do not change sponges until they are really falling apart. Also don't change two sponges at once. If u replace one don't change the other one for atleast a month. I have two sponges in my filter. I clean one every two months or so and rotate the position. How often you clean a filter will depend on your bio load (how many fish and how "dirty" they are. I haven't changed a sponge in about a year and they still work great. Also as said earlier while doing a water change rinse one sponge in the old tank water. This way you do not kill off the good bacteria. Good luck with you tank.

Also just popped in head. During water changes tht I do clean a sponge or my filter in general I don't not vacuum the substrate. Ill just suck out water. As bacteria can live in your substrate so you do not want to risk over cleaning everything at once.

Can't stress that point enough. Do not change sponges until they are really falling apart. Also don't change two sponges at once. If u replace one don't change the other one for atleast a month. I have two sponges in my filter. I clean one every two months or so and rotate the position. How often you clean a filter will depend on your bio load (how many fish and how "dirty" they are. I haven't changed a sponge in about a year and they still work great. Also as said earlier while doing a water change rinse one sponge in the old tank water. This way you do not kill off the good bacteria. Good luck with you tank.

Gotcha! Thanks!!

Back
Top Bottom