beneficial bacteria over 2 day trip

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Phoenixphire55

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm moving in a few weeks and it'll take a little over 2 days, so I'm wondering if it would be useful to gather up all the media from my various filters and put them in a ziplock bag of water? Or is there a better way to do it?

Definately keep the filter media wet during transport. You could try adding a little fish food to the bags to help prevent the die off of the beneficial bacteria.

For a 2 day trip, you might consider running your filters. Get a large rubbermaid tub (20-30 gal) with lid, drill holes to fit tightly a canister filter's in/out port (so no spills) then run your filter with an inverter off your car while driving (plug in land line when parked so you don't drain your battery). Leave some room in the top of the tub for air (& maybe some small holes & an airpump for air exchange) Put all compatible fish & the rest of your media in this tub.

Keeping the water circulating the whole trip would be safest for all the fish & biobugs. For a 2 day trip, you might be OK with just bagging the fish & the filters .... although I would try using breathable bags for both. <The biobugs also need O2 in addition to water.>

I'm planning to use a big rubbermaid container and a filter, but my canister filter sucks so I'm not going to bother using that one. I have to rig up my HOB onto the rubbermaid tub.

Back
Top Bottom