Benefits of having a snail...?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KimmiA

Aquarium Advice Activist
So i read some of the threads on here about having a snail, and I'm curious as to why people like them so much?

Are the beneficial to the aquarium? Nice to look at?
I'm curious because there have been new shipments of mystery snails at petsmart, and am considering having one. Thanks!

Most people keep snails because some species are good algae eaters and clean up crew. Other species are pretty interesting to watch, and others are considered pests!
Mystery snails are decent algae eaters but can eat more delicate plants.
Keep in mind they get golf ball sized! If you're looking for the best algae eating snail, I would recommend nerites.

They are great algae eaters I believe and some, like the Malaysian trumpet snail, will borrow into your sand. This is helpful to keep things.. aerated I suppose. It helps prevent build up of gases in the sand. Assassin snails eat other snails so if you have a population explosion they will help control it. Other than that the only other thing I know is that there are some really pretty ones

Well, they're decent at cleaning up a tank, and it's kind of fun to watch them scoot around your tank. They are pretty funny. However, the bio load of mystery snails is gigantic, and they can grow to the size of pool balls. If you get multiple ones, they can quickly reproduce and take over your tank. If you want a snail of two, I recommend nerite snails, as they don't get as big, and can't reproduce in freshwater. They also look much cooler IMO.

They are great algae eaters I believe and some, like the Malaysian trumpet snail, will borrow into your sand. This is helpful to keep things.. aerated I suppose. It helps prevent build up of gases in the sand. Assassin snails eat other snails so if you have a population explosion they will help control it. Other than that the only other thing I know is that there are some really pretty ones

They do, however the whole "poisonous gas pockets in the sand" thing is really overblown. It is not a very big problem, and especially if there are plants in the tank, there is no need. And MTS are some of the worst at overpopulating a tank.

They do, however the whole "poisonous gas pockets in the sand" thing is really overblown. It is not a very big problem, and especially if there are plants in the tank, there is no need. And MTS are some of the worst at overpopulating a tank.

Agreed. Anaerobic pockets in the sand are really only a problem if you have 4+ inches of sand and have no live plants. And yes, MTS will reproduce like crazy!

Back
Top Bottom