Best Balanced Diet for Community Tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dreamroper

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi Everyone,
I hope that you all had an enjoyable 4th of July.

I was wondering if I could get some suggestions on what would be a good balanced diet for a community tank. I'm currently feeding New Life Spectrum flakes, dried brine shrimp flakes and every other day or so, I'll break up a couple of algae wafers and throw them in.

My stock consists of the usual peaceful community stock:
tetras, endlers, mollies, platys, rasboras, danios, and a couple of angels that were put in as babies and are thriving.

Any suggestions other than what I'm feeding? I am careful to read the labels and the NLS was suggested to me by another member here on the forums.

Thanks-D

Maybe some frozen food but what there getting sounds pretty good to be fair the other thing maybe to try some vegetables cucumber goes down a storm in my community tank as do shelled peas :)

Maybe some frozen food but what there getting sounds pretty good to be fair the other thing maybe to try some vegetables cucumber goes down a storm in my community tank as do shelled peas :)

Yes, I've tried the peas a couple of times, but usually only the mollys and platys like those. I just bought some cucumbers, maybe I'll give them a little of that too. I've never tried any frozen food or tube worms (whatever those are...) some kind of small worms I guess based on the name? :ermm:

I like the new life spectrum pellets too. I like that they sink a little so my fish can see them, and they help prevent bloating.

I feed a combo of Ocean Nutrition foods, a few droppers full of bbs and shelled peas. I'd throw in frozen bllod worms for the angles.

I love NLS- I use their surface feeder pellets, Thera A pellets, and H2O wafers. The wafers are excellent- even when you break them up for smaller fish to nibble on, they DO NOT disintegrate!!
I also feed dried blackworms (I buy the cubes that you can stick to the glass) and frozen blood worms.
The worms are treats for most of my fish, but I have a couple of species for whom this is their staple diet.
Everybody gets fresh and/or blanched veggies and fruit at least 3 times a week (I cheat and buy a packet of frozen broccoli and cauliflower florets, and a packet of peas which I just thaw and serve). Mine also love fresh capsicum, fresh cucumber, strawberries, cooked choko, blanched zucchini and asparagus stems
The worst food I have ever bought is freeze dried baby brine shrimp. It makes a MESS, is apparently of little nutritional value, and most of my fish refuse to eat it. Unless I soak it overnight in garlic guard AND they are starving.

Meant to add- the NLS is reputedly a complete food, but I'm a neurotic over feeder who likes to spoil her fish and create more work, so I add the rest. If that doesn't describe you, then stick to a high quality brand of food (perhaps in more than one size pellet) and you won't go wrong :)

On a slight side note I fed my 4 ottos and 2 Amano shrimp an algae wafer last night and this morning gone do I presume that it's been eaten ???

On a slight side note I fed my 4 ottos and 2 Amano shrimp an algae wafer last night and this morning gone do I presume that it's been eaten ???

Almost all of my fish like the algae wafers except the smaller fish who probably just can't get a chance at them, but the angels love them also. I usually break them up before putting them in so that they're sprinkled across the bottom of the tank. I also have some small pellets, but I don't think that they're NLS.

Back
Top Bottom