Best Centerpiece Fish for 10g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bruceanthony

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 10 gallon freshwater peaceful community tank. I have small fish in there like brilliant rasboras and celestial pearl danios. I'm looking for a centerpiece fish. Something big or colorful or interesting. I had a neon blue dwarf gourami in there before and he worked out great. Any ideas?

Sparkling gourami or a honey gourami. Maybe a betta depending on it's temperament.

I would love to get a betta, but I've always been worried about it attacking my other fish. Is there any way to know its temperament before I buy it?

Gauging the personality of male bettas is usually pretty easy before you take them home. If they're going to have problems with another fish, they'll show it immediately. The females are the ones that tend to be deceptive and randomly snap at their tank mates...

If you're at a LFS that keeps bettas in those cups (assuming you're getting a male), take the cup over to a tank with similar fish in it to the kinds of fish he'll be living with. Hold the cup next to the glass and see how he reacts to them. If he flares immediately, it's likely a more aggressive betta. If he shows interest, but no flaring, that's fine, he's likely just curious and will probably do fine. If he shies away and cowers in the back of the cup, then the activity of the smaller fish may stress him out too much to live happily in a community. If he just kinda chills and doesn't change what he's doing but has no obvious signs of fin damage/illness, he's probably mellow enough to be fine no matter where you put him, be it on his own or in a community.

If you're lucky enough to be at a LFS that keeps their bettas in the normal tanks alongside other fish, they've already done the work for you at figuring his personality out ;)

I've been keeping bettas alongside just about every kind of community fish successfully for the last 15 years, even with ones that traditionally people tell you they'll attack on sight like guppies and gourami. It's all about being able to figure out the betta's personality, introducing it properly (typically I add them last, and sometimes even float them in a breeder box for a few days first), watching everyone like a hawk for the first week, and having a backup plan if it ends up not working out.

Gauging the personality of male bettas is usually pretty easy before you take them home. If they're going to have problems with another fish, they'll show it immediately. The females are the ones that tend to be deceptive and randomly snap at their tank mates... If you're at a LFS that keeps bettas in those cups (assuming you're getting a male), take the cup over to a tank with similar fish in it to the kinds of fish he'll be living with. Hold the cup next to the glass and see how he reacts to them. If he flares immediately, it's likely a more aggressive betta. If he shows interest, but no flaring, that's fine, he's likely just curious and will probably do fine. If he shies away and cowers in the back of the cup, then the activity of the smaller fish may stress him out too much to live happily in a community. If he just kinda chills and doesn't change what he's doing but has no obvious signs of fin damage/illness, he's probably mellow enough to be fine no matter where you put him, be it on his own or in a community. If you're lucky enough to be at a LFS that keeps their bettas in the normal tanks alongside other fish, they've already done the work for you at figuring his personality out ;) I've been keeping bettas alongside just about every kind of community fish successfully for the last 15 years, even with ones that traditionally people tell you they'll attack on sight like guppies and gourami. It's all about being able to figure out the betta's personality, introducing it properly (typically I add them last, and sometimes even float them in a breeder box for a few days first), watching everyone like a hawk for the first week, and having a backup plan if it ends up not working out.
my LFS has a betta in lots of tanks. They have a male betta per sales tank. Typical tank is:
tetras cories betta etc

Hey thanks a lot. That helps a lot. The fish store I go to has most of their betta in those little tiny bowls, but I think they actually have one male in a tank full of various glofish. He looks completely comfortable in there. Maybe I'll take him home.

Hey thanks a lot. That helps a lot. The fish store I go to has most of their betta in those little tiny bowls, but I think they actually have one male in a tank full of various glofish. He looks completely comfortable in there. Maybe I'll take him home.

If he's chilling with GloFish then he should have no problems at all with your stock :) GloFish (especially the Danios) tend to be a bit feisty, quick moving, and colorful, all of which are traits that are more likely to bring out either aggression or shyness in a betta that's prone to it.

If you're going the betta route try to get a plakat (short finned) rather than longer tail types. The bigger the fins, the weaker they swim and the more likely HE is to get beaten on or outcompeted for food, same way you shouldn't keep fat-bodied goldfish like ryukins with comets or shubes since they are much faster and stronger swimmers.

Back
Top Bottom