Best Discovery

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jerky

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I just discovered a GREAT LFS in my area.

Just wanted to chime in here to explain my shopping experience. So I was asking them about their setup. They said their whole tropical system is all connected and running off a massive 400 gallon custom sump in the back.

So I looked at every tank, out of the whole system, I did see one fish dead (pleco). I figured with the volume of water in their system and the quantity of fish, it was an acceptable risk to me. I saw no signs of ICH on any of their fish, and they stated nothing was medicated. Just old fashioned good filtration.

All of their fish appeared very healthy and active. They are open to custom ordering fish and keeping the fish outside their system if you pick them up the same day!

One of the "kids" that helped me asked me what I had, I asked what he had (was not expecting him to have anything). Said he had a 380 gallon and multiple 40 gallons in his house with a bunch of different setups. I was floored. Took as good of care of possible netting and bagging the fish.

I am so excited to find this store. I will now only go to Petsmart for some random supplies. Just wanted to share my story and excitement.

So I just discovered a GREAT LFS in my area.

Just wanted to chime in here to explain my shopping experience. So I was asking them about their setup. They said their whole tropical system is all connected and running off a massive 400 gallon custom sump in the back.

So I looked at every tank, out of the whole system, I did see one fish dead (pleco). I figured with the volume of water in their system and the quantity of fish, it was an acceptable risk to me. I saw no signs of ICH on any of their fish, and they stated nothing was medicated. Just old fashioned good filtration.

All of their fish appeared very healthy and active. They are open to custom ordering fish and keeping the fish outside their system if you pick them up the same day!

One of the "kids" that helped me asked me what I had, I asked what he had (was not expecting him to have anything). Said he had a 380 gallon and multiple 40 gallons in his house with a bunch of different setups. I was floored. Took as good of care of possible netting and bagging the fish.

I am so excited to find this store. I will now only go to Petsmart for some random supplies. Just wanted to share my story and excitement.

I also have a great lfs about 20-30 minutes from me. It's like lfs nirvana when you walk inside. They even have stingrays and a small area for the children to pet starfish!

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Ohh I got a powder blue gourami and 4 cherry barbs. All are well this morning. Gourami didn't seem to want to eat, i am sure it will tomorrow.

Ohh I got a powder blue gourami and 4 cherry barbs. All are well this morning. Gourami didn't seem to want to eat, i am sure it will tomorrow.

I usually ask the lfs what they feed their fish. I realized this when my honey gourami's wouldn't eat the flakes that everyone would eat. The lfs was feeding a main diet of frozen bloodworms and frozen veggie mix.

I usually ask the lfs what they feed their fish. I realized this when my honey gourami's wouldn't eat the flakes that everyone would eat. The lfs was feeding a main diet of frozen bloodworms and frozen veggie mix.

Hmm that would have been a good question to ask, I will ask that the next time I am there. Thanks!

I have one LFS that does exceptionally well. Beautiful tanks all well kept. They quarantine all new fish and medicate if needed. Almost the entire staff has tanks of their own.

And yeah they have stuff like discus, stingrays, and a Stars and Stripes puffer.

Only thing is, being top notch their prices reflect that. I can get an aquaclear filter for half what they charge on Amazon. I trust them for all my new fish now because of the process they use. Have yet to have a sick fish.

Caleb

Maybe I spoke too soon. I see a couple spots of ICH on the Gourami I just got. Ohh well it can happen with the stress of being moved. I didn't see any fish with ICH in the store. Gonna assume it was just the stress from moving. Started my heat treatment last night. I only see 2-3 spots on the Gourami. Hopefully I caught it in time before it's an issue.

Can I add aquarium salt with an Oto and Ghost Shrimp? I think the Oto may be a problem.

I have yet to find an amazing lfs near me. I live in the middle of nowhere! Where are you from?

Back
Top Bottom