Best filter for 30g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shellyx

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi, I'm looking to change my filter's for my 30g tank. At the moment I'm using 2 aqua flow 200 internal filter with spray bar's and I really don't like them. I would like 1 filter running that has a spray bar and also needs to be shrimp safe. I'm in the UK. Any help would be much appreciated :)
Anyone have any idea's?
55 gallon elephant nose tank.
30 gallon boraras ,bamboo shrimp, crs,rcs and different snails.

Last edited:
A Filstar XP-S would be good for that tank: rated for 45G (though all manufacturers exaggerate), so it should handle that bioload easily. It has a spray bar as I recall, and you can put a sponge over the intake to protect the shrimp. :fish1:

Thanks, struggling to find it in the UK I would need to import it :) I'm going to keep looking. Looks like a good filter.

I have a fluval 206 with a prefilter in a 25g tank and it keeps the water very clear.and i went on holiday for 3 weeks and had someone to feed the fish every other day so no water changes for that time and for my surprise the water was crystal clear...

Sent from my SM-G935F using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Have you thought of an HOB?
Many choices for you, aqua clear has a good reputation.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Have you thought of an HOB?
Many choices for you, aqua clear has a good reputation.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

+1 for AquaClear. I've had my AC50 for a couple years now and it hasn't had any problems. Just check the compartment at the bottom, sometimes I find strands of hair in it that clog it up.

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

I have an Eheim 2213 on my tank, with a powerhead aiding for additional flow.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

It's all that tasty stuff decaying in there that the snails love.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thanks for all the idea's, I've looked at a few Ehiem with spray bar's but I've still not made my mind up Lol

Have you seen the all pond solutions external filters yet?,as i said at the start i had a fluval 206 but then i had a power cut and the filter started to leak then after few minutes running stopped but as i was looking into buying another filter i thought to give the aps brand a go and so far i'm happy with it lots of space for media,i bought the 1000ef model it has 3 trays and i could fit all the media i had in the 206 in 1 tray...the only thing that let the filter down are the intake and outtake tubes,you have to handle it very carefully otherwise it can break...the best of all is just £40...

Sent from my SM-G935F using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yeah, Ive actually been looking at those as well.
I'm wanting an internal with a spray bar. I have seen a few but going to have to decide on what as my aqua flows are driving me crazy lol

I know its different from what you'r suggesting but I really like Aqueon QuietFlow and having a sponge as a prefilter and forcing 3 bioballs on the out ramp.

My cherry shrimp spend 1/2 of their time on the sponge prefilter and the bioballs break up the current.

I use the Aqueon QuietFlow 30 for the sponge prefilter I use to use Fluval EDGE Pre-Filter Sponge but now use Filter-Max III Prefilter. (I liked the coarser one)

All in call, cheap, quiet, reliable, no hassle with power outages and it restarting, its a slimmer profile than other HOB filters, and takes up little space in the tank besides the prefilter.

Back
Top Bottom