Best filters to look at for this tank please?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Stripes04

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi guys.

My tank measures 48" x 30" x 16" which is around 80 gallons I would say. The fish I am looking to stock are from the cichlid family which will require extra maintenance on the tank water keeping it clean as possible since these are quite sensitive fish. I want to be recommended a really good filter for this tank please.

I will also note: I am looking to attach the filter to some sort of tube with holes so I can make a stream effect from the top to the bottom of the tank.

Personally for filters in general I don't know which ones are the very good brands other than fluval which I have used. I was looking at the external Fluval 304 but they are rated for up to 300 liters.

Any suggestions?

What species of cichlids? Africans? Big SA/CA cichlids? I ask because the big boys are notoriously messy. Since you're wanting a spray bar, I would suggest a big canister, such as a Fluval FX6 or equivalent. I personally would pair it with a large HOB like an Aquaclear 110. You could run two of the AC110's and use Powerheads to create flow in the tank, and likely save some money as canisters are generally not cheap. There is more than one way to skin a cat, so to speak

What species of cichlids? Africans? Big SA/CA cichlids? I ask because the big boys are notoriously messy. Since you're wanting a spray bar, I would suggest a big canister, such as a Fluval FX6 or equivalent. I personally would pair it with a large HOB like an Aquaclear 110. You could run two of the AC110's and use Powerheads to create flow in the tank, and likely save some money as canisters are generally not cheap. There is more than one way to skin a cat, so to speak

Agree with this. There is some good canister brands like Cascade and SunSun that are on the cheaper side if you can find the GPH you are looking for.

Caleb

I run a fluval fx5 and fluval fx6 on my 150. I love them. I have a rena Filstar xp3 on my 45 gallon and while it's nice the Fluvals are just a lot more sturdy. I also made a DIY spraybar on my 150 which is attached to my fx5, I get great circulation and crystal clear water.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

hensleyjk Thanks for your suggestions. :)

I am looking at the goby cichlids, yes they don't get very big and not read anywhere that they are messy eaters but still they require a high water quality to keep them in shape, from what I have read and sensitive to fluctuation in the water.

I do have wavemakers from my saltwater aquariums which I am not using however, I really like the stream effect I have seen people create through using pvc pipes/spray bars and I can hide them easily, and powerheads tend to move a lot of the water and sand but I'm looking for a more calmer approach.

The Fluval FX6 sounds like an interesting choice. When you said equivalent what other filters did you have in mind?

After I searched the 110 hob filter up I found this link which is quite interesting. Since I'm not from the US I can't seem to find that particular brand here. Personally I would rather stick to the cannister type of filters so I can hide the equipment away.

Advantages of canister filter over AC110? • Cichlid-Forum

Are you going to be running with gravel or sand?

I haven't fully worked out the tanks layout but I have an idea so I might be considering both Aragonite sand and crushed coral sand form. The coral sand which is like gravel and I have thought about it going near the spray bar area along with the rocks and the rest of the tank will be the finer sand. Well thats my plan anyway. lol

I'm curious as to why you ask? :)

I haven't fully worked out the tanks layout but I have an idea so I might be considering both Aragonite sand and crushed coral sand form. The coral sand which is like gravel and I have thought about it going near the spray bar area along with the rocks and the rest of the tank will be the finer sand. Well thats my plan anyway. lol

I'm curious as to why you ask? :)

I was on my phone so didn't want ot go into a big long spiel :D

For gravel:

Crushed coral is likely the single most hated substrate out there among the salt water crew. It traps stuff, is impossible to clean, and algae builds up on it very easily.

Now, as to the topic of filtration:

Many people argue that canisters are the king when it comes to biological filtration.

So in leiu of that, I have a few things I like to point out.

1 - Biological bacteria is directly limited by the tank. This means that no matter how much biological media you have, there will be the exact same amount of beneficial bacteria.

2 - Customizability - Keeping in mind #1 the only thing customizability brings to the table is room for alternative media. I don't know about you, but I have yet to run into a filter that doesn't have more than enough room for a bag of chemical filtration media such as purigen.

3 - Bypass - This was brought up earlier in the thread and I would like ot point out that canisters ABSOLUTELY have bypass issues. Just as many as any HOB filters do. This just allows more time between cleanings because there's more room to bypass. The following pic is the sponges form one of my canisters. If you can't tell what area got the flow from the canister... then you need new eyes.

75748-albums12252-picture64288.jpg

So with those points in mind... Why bother with a canister?

A simple HOB filter will do the same work as any canister will.

Following the filtration discussion... Water changes are going to be the key with keeping these fish healthy. You can have all the filtration you want on a tank but if you don't do the water changes to keep the levels good then it's not going to matter.

Now, as to the topic of filtration:

Many people argue that canisters are the king when it comes to biological filtration.

So in leiu of that, I have a few things I like to point out.

1 - Biological bacteria is directly limited by the tank. This means that no matter how much biological media you have, there will be the exact same amount of beneficial bacteria.

2 - Customizability - Keeping in mind #1 the only thing customizability brings to the table is room for alternative media. I don't know about you, but I have yet to run into a filter that doesn't have more than enough room for a bag of chemical filtration media such as purigen.

3 - Bypass - This was brought up earlier in the thread and I would like ot point out that canisters ABSOLUTELY have bypass issues. Just as many as any HOB filters do. This just allows more time between cleanings because there's more room to bypass. The following pic is the sponges form one of my canisters. If you can't tell what area got the flow from the canister... then you need new eyes.

75748-albums12252-picture64288.jpg

So with those points in mind... Why bother with a canister?

A simple HOB filter will do the same work as any canister will.

Following the filtration discussion... Water changes are going to be the key with keeping these fish healthy. You can have all the filtration you want on a tank but if you don't do the water changes to keep the levels good then it's not going to matter.

Canisters offer more room than HOB as far as customizing and this steps beyond just the realm of a bag of Purigen. For instance in my fx6, all three baskets have biomedia. One had a bag of purigen until I decided I didn't want to recharge it and took it out, another has a bag of crushed coral to help buffer my water, and the other has polishing pads. All in addition to the normal coarse sponges around the perimeter of the baskets.

While it shows your canister has one area where the flow goes through most often...what else is in your canister that may be to blame for that? What does the water have to go through just before that sponge? My sponges pretty much all get an even amount of soiling, there are no obvious areas where the water travels through more frequently than the rest. I make sure though that everything is laid out evenly and there is no "easiest path" for the water to travel through, it's all the same.

Another benefit of a canister is the customization of the output, whether or not you want the dual output nozzles that come with the fluval series or if you want to go with a spraybar or whatever. You also get the choice of running equipment inline such as heaters or reactors if you go with co2.

That all being said...if you can find a used fx5 that works and for a good price, I'd go with it over a brand new fx6. I had to buy the fx6 when my fx5 broke but there really isn't a whole lot of difference between the two other than aesthetics.

Canisters offer more room than HOB as far as customizing and this steps beyond just the realm of a bag of Purigen. For instance in my fx6, all three baskets have biomedia. One had a bag of purigen until I decided I didn't want to recharge it and took it out, another has a bag of crushed coral to help buffer my water, and the other has polishing pads. All in addition to the normal coarse sponges around the perimeter of the baskets.

I could do the exact same with my aquaclear or my marineland

While it shows your canister has one area where the flow goes through most often...what else is in your canister that may be to blame for that? What does the water have to go through just before that sponge? My sponges pretty much all get an even amount of soiling, there are no obvious areas where the water travels through more frequently than the rest. I make sure though that everything is laid out evenly and there is no "easiest path" for the water to travel through, it's all the same.

The only thing in that canister is the 3 sponge pads that came with is. The coarse, medium, and fine sponges. The fine one isn't pictured because it's black.

Another benefit of a canister is the customization of the output, whether or not you want the dual output nozzles that come with the fluval series or if you want to go with a spraybar or whatever. You also get the choice of running equipment inline such as heaters or reactors if you go with co2.

You got me there.

Some really interesting points to consider, thanks guys :)

Your right Mebbid about the water changes, if you don't do them then the tank will slowly decline and become filthy anyways. My routine is from what I have been recommended regarding this fish is to only do 15% water changes per week as like I said before they are sensitive to fluctuations within the parameters.

That video was really good and simple to make thanks.

Nigel, I saw the FX5 too and if they are just as good as the FX6 I may look into them instead. Thanks to everyone who has helped me and recommended me a filter I learn more about these things everyday. I do like the idea of HOB filters and I even ordered one for one of my relatives for their aquarium. However, for this tank I am going for the external cannister type this time round. My reasons are because I want to hide the filter and any other equipment to look as natural as I can make it look, overall. The HOB filter requires me to have space at the back of the tank and this tank is already 30" front to back so I'm trying to get it as close to the wall to the back and the HOB filters will use some of that space up. Lastly to connect it to a spray bar. I haven't decided on which filter exactly I am going to get but I have time to look around, so anymore recommendations are still welcome :)

If you don't have space for a HOB, you can look into using 2 canisters.

Some really interesting points to consider, thanks guys :)

Your right Mebbid about the water changes, if you don't do them then the tank will slowly decline and become filthy anyways. My routine is from what I have been recommended regarding this fish is to only do 15% water changes per week as like I said before they are sensitive to fluctuations within the parameters.

That video was really good and simple to make thanks.

Nigel, I saw the FX5 too and if they are just as good as the FX6 I may look into them instead. Thanks to everyone who has helped me and recommended me a filter I learn more about these things everyday. I do like the idea of HOB filters and I even ordered one for one of my relatives for their aquarium. However, for this tank I am going for the external cannister type this time round. My reasons are because I want to hide the filter and any other equipment to look as natural as I can make it look, overall. The HOB filter requires me to have space at the back of the tank and this tank is already 30" front to back so I'm trying to get it as close to the wall to the back and the HOB filters will use some of that space up. Lastly to connect it to a spray bar. I haven't decided on which filter exactly I am going to get but I have time to look around, so anymore recommendations are still welcome :)

If you want to go clutter free and run as much equipment inline as possible I'd go a different route than the fx5/6. The hoses are 1" ID and it's really tough to find anything for purchase such as an inline heater that will fit it. While I'm not as huge of a fan of the rena Filstars they may be one option. The hoses are smaller on them and easier to find equipment for, plus they aren't ribbed like the fluval. The ribbed hosing on the Fluvals can be quite a pain to work with as far as hooking things up inline.

For a really clean look in the tank you could look at buying lily pipes instead of the stock inlet strainer and outlet nozzle.

There was a really strangely designed HOB filter I saw a while back. It was really low profile and had separate chambers you could put stuff in. It ran the entire length of the tank.

I'll try to find it again but it's gonna be a long shot.

Entire length? I doubt it, but the Marina Slim is well, a slim filter. Takes less than half the space of an AC110. Obviously not as powerful though, but the motor is in tank, so you never need to prime it as a first start.

Entire length? I doubt it, but the Marina Slim is well, a slim filter. Takes less than half the space of an AC110. Obviously not as powerful though, but the motor is in tank, so you never need to prime it as a first start.

It's not a traditional style of filter but yes it ran the length of the aquarium. I've only seen one person here with it.

I have one of those Marina Slim S20s and I love it, but that isn't it, right? That isn't a filter for really big tanks. (I do think it is really awesome, though)

... 4 of them along the back might work actually and only be like 60 bucks. Did Op say he needed something low profile? I kind of just moseyed in here and didn't actually read stuff....

Last edited:
I use a FX6 by Fluval on my 80 gal and by far the best filter I have used to date. Well worth the money compared to anything else.

I use a FX6 by Fluval on my 80 gal and by far the best filter I have used to date. Well worth the money compared to anything else.

Yeah so far the FX5 or 6 seems like the best option for me. Fluval is a very good and known brand.

My best filter I have ever had and I would buy it again if I could find it is a fluval filter. You have the Fluval 4 filter, but this one was called the 4 Fluval filter and is the older shape to it. It comes with the long round sponge with the hole going through it in the middle. It did 1000 lph and because of the mechanism it stayed constant pumping water only slowed down ever so slightly when the sponge filled. Cleaned my 4ft cichlid tank very well. We had about a 15cm tube at the end of the flow output to give it a good straight flow to the other side of the 4ft and back.

I would have probably still had that tank setup if the tank wasn't so old and leaked. Funnily enough I swapped the leaking 4ft tank for a Hailea 60l nano with built in 2 t5 units which then I wandered my first time in to the salty side. So it wasn't all that bad. But I did lose upto 4 fish or so while they were in the buckets. Days later after the leak I found a Jewel Rio 125 in the free to good home section on another forum which they settled in well. To end this story lol I eventually sold it all fish, tank, ocean rock and sadly the filter on ebay.

The End. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom