Best Flakes?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kaz

Aquarium Advice Addict
sorry guys this must be asked and answered before, what are the best fish food and best flakes. brand?

For what? Stable food, color enhancer, etc? There are so many different brands out there that it is always difficult to say which is best. And the best is not always the best for every kind of fish/ every use (stable, color, etc). But I guess if you stick with one of the main brands and don't take the very cheapest, you'll be fine.

right now i have tetracolor tropical flakes, is that good healthy food for my profile fish?

I have tetra color too, and my fishes are really vibrant. However, this is not the only food I am feeding. You should always make sure to feed your fish something different. I feed FD Tubifex, Tetramin Tropical Granules, and Wardley Algae wafers besides the color enhancing food.

The color enhancing food should not be the only thing you feed since it has quite a high protein and fat rate. With the fishes you have some algae wafers (with spirulina) will be good and some staple food like I have the TetraMin Granules, but it can also be some kind of general flakes.

I agree with Tiffi. Avoid the 99 cent specials and stick with the big brands (Tetra, Nutrafin, Hikari, Ocean Nutrition, Omega One to name a few).

Variety is the most important thing about your fishs' diet. Fresh veggies, frozen foods, and live worms can be used to supplement any dry fish food. I like to mix up the format too - flake one day, micropellets the next, then sinking tabs, etc. All my fish get spirulina flakes every few days too.

I think I have about 15 different brands/types of fish foods. Most of them were freebies from my monthly aquarium club meeting.

I used to pick up stuff from the LFS.. but then someone on here gave me a link for ken's fish (http://kensfish.com/) All of my fish absolutely love the flakes there. From my fry with the algae flakes to my clownfish and cichlids with brine shrimp flakes.

I've yet to go back to the LFS for food (besides frozen cubes) because this food has brought out the best color in all of my fish :)

no this isn't an ad, i just love the food i get from there.

-thane

I have frozen fry shrimp, tetra colorbits, tetra bloodworms, tetracolor flakes and tetramin tropical crisps flakes. question now is do you mix them up at once or just feed one type for the whole day and change every day. for some reason i dont see my fish liking the tetramin's. I drop the food first on the inside of its own cap covering a quarter or less of its size and drop that into the surface of the water is this good? sizes for reference are: tetramin 1.16oz, tetracolor 1.0oz, colorbits 1.06oz, bloodworms 0.28oz.

I feed my fish Tetramin tropical flakes every day. Hikari sinking algae tabs once a day. And i alternate bloodworms with shrimp pellets (shirmp pellets one day, bloodworms the next) And i usually feed the flakes adn pellets/bloodworms at different times of day adn the algae wafers in the evenings. and then there are days of course where all i do is throw some flakes in before i go to bed and there are days where i forget to feed all together! LOL. Oh and i also put slices of zuchini in every few days.. i buy a zuchini every week at the grocery store and usually use the entire thing.. LOL.

I think the most important thing is to have variety in their diet... flake from a reputible brand are important but variety is definetly going to keep your fish happy and healthy.

Feeding two times a day is great and you do have a selection of good food at home! So just change what you feed every time you feed and your fishes will be happy and fine!

@thanew: Many people here feed their fish once a day, two times, three times, ....
Of course smaller portions are better, like for us humans, but who's got
the time - I don't!

I have heard a lot of good things from Hikari products, I don't buy them cause where I live they are a bit pricey so I stick to Nutrafin or the Tetra brands.

I usually feed 1-2 times a day. Omega One and New Life Spectrum make very good fish food IMO.

I don't think 2 times a day is little seeing wherei only feed my once a day, and lately sometime not for 2 or 3 days seeing where i have high nitrate, i was told from some trusty worthy sources on this site that you can't really starve a fish.

I was doing some search on the site for what people feed for a varity of food and came up with this post. I just have one question, i been giving my fish tetramin tropical crisps and some waffers for my pleco's, but my question is if im feeding them the crisps it says it has color enhancer in it so i assume i don't need to buy tetracolor min as well right? Also what is a couple different good foods for live food, but won't make a mess? i assume they would either be frozeen or dried, but i don't want it to be to messie, like i heard blood worms mirc up your water, and make it smelll?

Back
Top Bottom