Best foods for Bumblebee goby?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

OceanMaiden

Aquarium Advice Freak
That place between sleeping and awake, where drea
Hi all
I just purchased 2 bumblebee goby for my violet gobies tank. The man at petco told me they would eat fine ground flake food. What a liar he turned out to be. I have the small current required in my tank to make the food seem "alive" so that the bumblebees will see it and try to eat it. They don't like it however. I've put in fine ground krill which seems to attract them and they nibble on it. The fish are so small though I can't tell if theyre eating it or what. They are a little over half an inch I'd guess. Just babies as I heard these fish max out at 2 inches? I need all the info I can get on what I can feed them. Also can I feed mollies a slice of cucumber on a tank clip?
I have also put a sponge on the filter intake to protect the lil bees from "suck up". Any advice or info on them and mollies too would be appreciated.

Bumblebee gobies love live bloodworms, will probably eat frozen ones as well. Brine shrimp are also good, baby brine are much more nutritious than adults.
Mollies should be fed spirulina flakes occaisonally, they eat algae (though possibly not the kind that grows in your tank :roll: ).

I feed mine frozen brine shrimp. The current shoots them around like they were alive. Plus the tetras love them too so any that pass near the gobies are goners!

My BBGs actually do eat fine flake food now (a mix of spirulina, and tetra products like tetramin and tetra pro), but their preferred diet is bloodworm (I use frozen, they look hilarious sucking one down like it's a noodle). They also get brineshrimp regularly.
I actually have a fair fast flowing current in that tank, with a canister filter, and they're just fine so I wouldn't worry overly about them being sucked up. They stick to the tops of the plantpots I have in there for them, and love goading my stream loaches over territory.

Mollies would love a bit of vegetable/fruit in their diet, yes, so go for the cucumber idea it will go down a treat :) I've found my mollies prefer me to cut the cucumber up into smaller squares rather than slices which they have a nibble on. I also feed them spirulina flake regularly (along with other flake products) to give them some variety.

Your BBGs will grow no larger than 1-1.5" I believe.
You may find the Gobioid Research Institute helpful: http://www.gobiidae.com

Thanks all for the food tips. Just today I put a freeze dried tubifex worm cube in a lil tray of tank water till it got soggy. Then I swished it around in the tank and it broke up into thousands of little worms. The current moved 'em everywhere and the bees went after them. I watched as they tried their best to nibble and bite on them. It's hard to see it go into their mouths, but I think they must be getting some food or they would have starved to death by now with their high metabolisms. They are just the cutest things those bees. I want MORE. :p I love them. I've got a new question about a possible sick molly in the unhealthy fish forum. Anybody think they can help just hop on over please and see if you know what I should do. Thanks so much all.

Back
Top Bottom