best heater for 150 gal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cogburn

Aquarium Advice Freak
hey all... what would you suggest for heaters in the new 150 gal. tank? it has to be titanium cuz my oscars will break it otherwise... i was hoping to have an inline filter so i dont have anything in the tank but the most powerful inline ive ever seen is only 300w and is good for up to 80 gallons... i know i probably should have more than one heater... but what am i going to have to do?... get 3 heaters capable of heating 80 gallons? i havent seen anything more powerful than 300w... what are all you guys using to heat big tanks?

i use a pair of hydors on my 125. They make heaters bigger than 300, but they're not titanium. I've seen titanium heaters on ebay up to 700W or so, but don't know anything about them.

I would use two heaters. I have a 125 and a 135 gal and I use a heater on each end to keep the temp consistent throughout the entire tank.

Are titanium heaters not as efficient as regular heaters? I have 2-200 w heaters on both my large tanks and have no problems heating those tanks to 80, I've even raised the temp to 87 for treating ich.

Are titanium heaters not as efficient as regular heaters? I have 2-200 w heaters on both my large tanks and have no problems heating those tanks to 80, I've even raised the temp to 87 for treating ich.

I just think its part of the 5wpg heating myth that assumes your sitting in the ~65 deg F range ambient. Not saying that larger heaters that are running less wont last longer.

I recommend using more than one heater. I have three in our 150 G. If one fails, the other two will back it up. This is especially important for us since our tank is in the basement living room where it tends to be quite a bit cooler.

I recommend using more than one heater. I have three in our 150 G. If one fails, the other two will back it up. This is especially important for us since our tank is in the basement living room where it tends to be quite a bit cooler.

Should always try to use at least two heaters. Even on something as small as a 20g. Rate each one on the low side so if the contacts stick closed that heater won't overheat the tank. Don't have to worry too much with a large tank... smaller tanks in cool places or during the winter... have seen it time and again > one heater over rated for the tank size with contacts stuck closed (always on) results in cooked fish for supper.

Back
Top Bottom