Best Livebearers?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Which Livebearer for a beginner??

• Guppy

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Molly

• Platy

• Other (please state below)

• Total voters

Heiko

Aquarium Advice Activist
Right im going to start having a go at raising some of my own fry. So as ive been informed before livebearers are the way to go.

So which livebearer do i go for?

Guppies
Mollys
Platies

Anyone got any recomendations. In my tank i will have 6 tiger barbs, 1 red finned shark and possibly 1 angel (depends on what livebearer i get etc)

Thanks all

You know, it might be a good idea to get that tank you showed us on ebay. That would be a very good setup to have a go at breeding AND raising fry. Because I think any fry would get eaten by either the angel or the barbs. You could also keep some small bottom feeders in that tank (corydoras). That way you can keep your current tank the way it is. Just a thought :wink:

Good luck!

ye,

Sorry if i sound like a complete retard putting all these posts everywhere. But i really want to get a good looking tank. :D

Im kinda hyper.LOL 8O

Im still tempted to get the tank just not got too much cash. :oops:

so i sould cross mollies off my list then!

So its platy's or guppies. with the little guys being in the lead at the moment.

Pile on the advice..... I need it LOL :lol:

You could always do a mixture, i have a pair of guppies(lots of fry), 1 ballon belly molly, 8 platys(6 females, 2 males), and a pair of pineapple swords. Guppies are the easiset to breed and there is tons of colors. A mixture of livebearer's is nice though. However, tiger barbs can be fin nippers and may attack guppies. Also the fry will have to be moved to a breeding tank as soon as you see them or they will end up as dinner. 8O They have cheap $4 net breeders at walmart here, dont know about the UK. Good luck!

yes,

i think i might just go for guppies as i might be getting another tank. I got a good link of a fellow AA member and have found some neat stuff such as breeding traps etc.

Thanks for all your help.

my vote - especially for beginners is guppies. I have a guppy tank, and I love them, they are just gorgeous!

guppies are pretty but throughout my experience, platty's seem the easiest....i bought my g/f her first tank for christmas...and she has platty's in it...4 female and a 1 male....3 females are pregnant now and 1 had her babies...but one only survived which is ok, cuz we dont want a thousand platy's in the tank...but then again i've never tried guppies in general...lol....so who knows...good luck!!!

I have bred my guppies and my swords. Easy as pie....just leave male and female in the same tank LOL. Make sure you get 2 or 3 females for each male though, or the males will literally chase them to death. I have a pregnant sword and 5 pregnant feeder guppies right now, and I'm pretty sure my sunset platy is looking quite round.
The best advice I can gove is to have a breeder box (maternity ward LOL) and to buy a cheap turkey baster to catch the fry.
I use a 1/2 gallon betta kit for my fry until they are big enough to go into the community tank. It was $12.99 (about 5 quid) and came with gravel and a fake plant. I just added a second air hose and bubble stone to my bubble blower on the main tank and it's all good.
To make a short story long, I would go with guppies or swords.
BTW< where in the UK are you? I am first generation Canadian, my parents married and jumped on a boat. They were from Hove, just outside of Brighton. All of my extended family is spread across England.
Good luck with the breeding!

cool,

Ive been all over the place. Im now living in a small island in the middle of the Irish sea(Isle of Man). Its small but pleasant, only 2 lfs's though. If youve heard of it its probably because of the Motorbike TT races. Were right in the midst of them now and things are very lively.

Back to fishey matters i think im gonna get a female swordtail for my large tank and then maybe set up a small guppy tank. BTW could anyone tell me the average size/ colouration of male swordtails. I bought what i thought was a sex pair from my lfs and they both turned out to be male.One is small and brightly coloured whereas the other is much larger yet he hasant got much colour.

soz for the lenght, thanks

Platys are very easy, very hardy fish to keep, and they will give you plenty of fry.
Even better if you have lots of plants where they can hide, you don't have to do
anything special, the little ones are smart enough to stay away until they are no
longer "bite size". I started with 6 about 2 months ago, probably have two dozen
little ones of different growth stage, cant even count them anymore, LOL

right well heres the deal guys. Ive managed to wrangle a way in which to get a new 20g tank. Infact i get to enjoy it but i dont pay a pennie. My grandads buying it and im going to set it up, cycle it and basically get him on his way. He is going to take my leapord danois and then hopefully i am going to put either platies or guppies in his tank. What would you suggest to stock it with.

Mollies-- just add a little salt to the tank, which is ok with platys, swords and guppies. I've seen people recommending a tablespoon to every 5 gallons, but I know i'm beyond that with my tank, everybody is extremely healthy and happy. I need to bu a refractometer, which measures salinity in the water, just haven't $50+ for one.

Heiko said:
hopefully i am going to put either platies or guppies in his tank. What would you suggest to stock it with.
It's up to you, which do you like better?
I personally would go with platies, as I don't like guppies. :?

The thing to remember with guppies is that you don't always know exactly what variety the female is so you may end up with some unattractive (to some) mutts. With platies you generally get intermediate coloration if they are different varieties.

i have guppies now and i wasnt trying in the least bit to get them pregnant but they are. I have 2 females and 1 male and the one females is ready to release her fry. I also prefer the guppies because you can get such colorful mixes and they look soo much cooler then platies.

Back
Top Bottom