Best media for fluval fx5??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DanS180

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have 2 Fluval fx5's that ill be hooking up, in one i have pre-filter, bio-max, and polishing pads.. what should I consider putting into the other one? Or just stick with the same?

In my five FX5's I'm running nothing but 3 boxes of Biomax in each unit and medium filter pads. I would personally skip the perfilter and use more Biomax, and in my experience polishing pads plug up to quickly and you'll have to keep breaking down the units to clean or replace them. Skip all the other junk like pot scrubbies and so forth, while they work well in a wet/dry applications they do not have the overall biospace that Biomax or even Seachem Matrix(2nd choice) has.

Same here just the sponges and bio max in all 3 trays. Actually I just cleaned my FX5 yesterday. Sponges and bio max in old tank water.

Well I hope it'll do a good job, its for my 180 gallon tank and I have some dirty fish haha

DanS180 said:
Well I hope it'll do a good job, its for my 180 gallon tank and I have some dirty fish haha

What's your stock? I use it on my 75 gallon overstocked African Cichlid tank and I also use a AC 110 with just a sponge and polishing pads to pick up the very very fine debris and so far it's working great.

I have a baby redtail (8-9in) tiger shovel nose(6in) silver arowana(8-9 in) sun catfish(7-8in) synspillum(red head)(7-8in) jack Dempsey(5-6in) geophagus(4-5in) green terror(3-4in) common pleco (5-6in)... keep in mind when i actually get my new tank setup, not all of those fish are moving into the big tank haha

DanS180 said:
I have a baby redtail (8-9in) tiger shovel nose(6in) silver arowana(8-9 in) sun catfish(7-8in) synspillum(red head)(7-8in) jack Dempsey(5-6in) geophagus(4-5in) green terror(3-4in) common pleco (5-6in)... keep in mind when i actually get my new tank setup, not all of those fish are moving into the big tank haha

Wow! lol those are some nice fish! And big lol. The FX5 should help, you must love water change time lol.

Thank you! And yeah haha water changing time is like going to work for 2 hours without pay! Haha well I'm putting down a sand substrate so hopefully that'll make it easier to clean. Quick question tho, I was thinking of getting a freshwater stingray? Thoughts?? Kinda up n down

Back
Top Bottom