Best plants for a Goldfish tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NickB8951

Aquarium Advice Regular
I just want to know what the best plants are for my goldfish tank. I currently have a little bit of java fern, but I would like to have more if possible. Is there anything else I can put in there?

Goldfish uproot and eat most plants. Duckweed grows fast and is a good supplement for them!

I have swords, elodea, java fern, anubias, val and a large pond lilly in my goldfish tank. They will uproot something occasionally and nibble on plants but if you supply enough greens (like broccoli and peas) they barely touch them.

image-1013094760.jpg

Same here- I have a mess of plants and my goldies never touch them because they are well fed & receive ample greens/veggies. If they are starving, they will eat your plants.

Wow good info guys!

I dislike goldies, but I heard horror stories of people trying to plant tanks and they tore up all the plants :)

I have Wisteria, Rotala, Bacopa, H. Corymbosa, and Banana plant in mine. They take a taste every so often but they are well fed with leftover dinner veggies so they mostly leave everything alone.

Here is the new and improved tank! I tied the java ferns to the driftwood and just planted the anubius plants in the front.

Attachments

• 040612.5.jpg
    040612.5.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 116
  • 040612.4.jpg
    040612.4.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 107
  • 040612.2.jpg
    040612.2.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 100
  • 040612.3.jpg
    040612.3.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 100
Yea thought so...

Goldfish need much larger tanks than what you have.

Minimum for fancies is 30 gals I think.

Hopefully a goldie owner will give you all the details.

But this pic may scare you to the size they can get.

image-3900985955.jpg

Reactions: jlk
+1
The tank & plants look very nice! I do have to agree with Scouser's advice though. 6g is much too small for even a single fancy. They realistically need a 30g. Is the pleco mentioned in your profile in with them as well? Plecos are reknowned for snacking on fancies slimecoats at night causing a host of health issues for the fancies. Just some things to consider!

I think the rule is 20 gallons for the first goldfish and add 10 gallons for every goldfish you add. I think that's the rule but don't quote me on that.

+1
The tank & plants look very nice! I do have to agree with Scouser's advice though. 6g is much too small for even a single fancy. They realistically need a 30g. Is the pleco mentioned in your profile in with them as well? Plecos are reknowned for snacking on fancies slimecoats at night causing a host of health issues for the fancies. Just some things to consider!

I am getting a larger tank where the goldfish will be relocated. For now I have been doing frequent partial water changes and monitoring the water quality closely. I appreciate the advice though. (that's why I joined this forum!) As for the pleco, It is a rubber lip(rubber nosed, bulldog) pleco. From the research that I have done, this kind of pleco is compatible with goldfish.

I am very glad to hear this!! :) Just beware that the pleco (no matter what type it is) may eventually create problems for the fancies. They are slow swimmers in comparison to the pleco & like to rest at night making them easy targets. Just keep a close eye on them for anything unusual (spots/sores/marks/nipped fins etc).

I am very glad to hear this!! :) Just beware that the pleco (no matter what type it is) may eventually create problems for the fancies. They are slow swimmers in comparison to the pleco & like to rest at night making them easy targets. Just keep a close eye on them for anything unusual (spots/sores/marks/nipped fins etc).

I will definitely keep an eye on it!

Back
Top Bottom