Best solo fish in a community tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bcmakesiteasy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, I have a 10 gallon with 3 serpae tetras, and 4 bloodeye tetras. I am wondering what solo fish would go well with these fish. Solo as in, a fish that doesnt require a school and would live peacefully with my tetras, and I also plan on getting some dwarf corys. PLEASEEE do not lecture me on the small schools as the serpaes are NOT nippy towards eachother or my other tetras. They are doing just fine...I also have talked to MANY LFS owners and they said the 1 in of fish per gallon is an old school rule and filtration technlogy these days allows you to overstock a bit. So lets jjust keep it to what types of solo fish you would recommend! thank you :0 :lol::)

Okay, no no no no no.. Please, just, no.

You've got this tank stocked all wrong. With the fish you are keeping you need at LEAST a 20 gallon long tank. These are all active schooling fish that need more space and numbers.

Serpae tetras need larger schools. You want to know why they are not nippy? They don't have their own space. You are crowding. That's how it is possible to keep a bunch of cichlids in one tank, and all those male gouramis are kept in the same tank at pet stores.

Blood eye tetras are also schooling, nippy, large fish. They need a larger school, but most importantly, they need a larger tank.

Just because you can get a filter rated five times your tank size, doesn't mean you can overstock. Only in rare occasions is it needed to overstock. (Like african cichlids.)

Why would you put a betta in with nippy fish? The poor guy will have no fins. And I bet they would fight, too.

No dwarf cory cats either! If they were the only the only fish in there, maybe with a betta or something, sure. But no way in your current tank.

Bottom line:

You need a larger tank.

Sorry if I came across as harsh or rude, I don't want to be, but I feel bad for those poor fish!

Okay, no no no no no.. Please, just, no.

You've got this tank stocked all wrong. With the fish you are keeping you need at LEAST a 20 gallon long tank. These are all active schooling fish that need more space and numbers.

Serpae tetras need larger schools. You want to know why they are not nippy? They don't have their own space. You are crowding. That's how it is possible to keep a bunch of cichlids in one tank, and all those male gouramis are kept in the same tank at pet stores.

Blood eye tetras are also schooling, nippy, large fish. They need a larger school, but most importantly, they need a larger tank.

Just because you can get a filter rated five times your tank size, doesn't mean you can overstock. Only in rare occasions is it needed to overstock. (Like african cichlids.)

Why would you put a betta in with nippy fish? The poor guy will have no fins. And I bet they would fight, too.

No dwarf cory cats either! If they were the only the only fish in there, maybe with a betta or something, sure. But no way in your current tank.

Bottom line:

You need a larger tank.

Sorry if I came across as harsh or rude, I don't want to be, but I feel bad for those poor fish!

LIke i said, I know some of you may have opinions on my stocking options, but the fish are doing fine..they are healthy and are swimming about which is all I really care about. Why do I need a 20 gallon long? I don't believe that the serpae tetra NOT being nippy is a bad thing, or is a school issue. I was told the opposite, that if they school is too small they will be nippy. I honestly think that people on forums are a bit cult-ish with their beliefs and ideas..but to each their own. I will be keeping the fish that I have now, and will continue to do so unless something goes wrong, because they look happy to me.

With that stocking you don't have any more room for fish on the top-mid level. Even getting some corys would be pushing it. Yes, with overfiltration you can have a bit more bio-load, but increased bio-load = more nitrates. Nitrates are by far less toxic than ammonia or nitrite, but still can have very bad effects if at high levels. Also, 5 x hour turnover rate isn't what I would call "over-filtered". I have nearly 11 x hour turnover rate on my 29, but I still don't overstock. Over-filtration does not make the tank bigger. I don't think that bio-load would necessarily be the issue, but the problem would be space.

bcmakesiteasy said:
Why do I need a 20 gallon long? I don't believe that the serpae tetra NOT being nippy is a bad thing, or is a school issue.

She was telling you those things because a 20 gallon long would give them adequate room. These are large tetras that really do require more than a 10 gallon.

bcmakesiteasy said:
the fish are doing fine..

"They're all swimming about" is not an indicator of good health. It's like saying a human is perfectly healthy because he or she is walking.

bcmakesiteasy said:
I honestly think that people on forums are a bit cult-ish with their beliefs and ideas

Please don't attack the forum or its members because someone told you something you don't want to hear. There is something to be said for "One person says something, and everyone else follows along," but in this instance that's not the case. The people here want you to do what's truly in the best interest of your fish.

She was telling you those things because a 20 gallon long would give them adequate room. These are large tetras that really do require more than a 10 gallon.

"They're all swimming about" is not an indicator of good health. It's like saying a human is perfectly healthy because he or she is walking..

Yes, in an over-crowded prison. Why ask the for the forum's collective knowledge and experience to answer your question, if you've already made up your mind?

Back
Top Bottom