Best species of moss for a "tree"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BLUElobster99

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm going a 10gal rabbit snail tank and I rally want to make one of those driftwood trees with moss. How should I tie on the moss and what kind of moss will look best?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Hi,

I'd go with mini Xmas moss, weeping, flame, Taiwan, or fissiden fontanus moss. I just wouldn't go with java moss due to its sporadic unruly growth pattern. You can use cotton sewing thread to tie it on.

Last edited:
Definitely not Java moss.
I use fluorocarbon fishing line for attaching moss or rhizome plants. It's almost invisible under water. It doesn't reflect light. It will become visible if algae starts to build up on it, but by then you should be able to cut it loose as the moss should be pretty well attached.
Since I'm a fisherman, I've always got some around. I use Berkley Vanish (blue package). It's about $5 for 110 yard spool or 2 pound or 4 pound test. 2 pound obviously is thinner diameter.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Good luck finding a fast reliable Soruce of moss, in VA and I have no clue where to get l. It takes a couple months to import and I'm still not sure it's coming... I'm currently waiting for weeping moss, I just love the look of it, like a widow tree :)

Attachments

• 1418142526672.jpg
    1418142526672.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 82
Be careful when buying moss from overseas, they commonly don't have a license for importing it in most cases and it can be randomly searched and confiscated by the authorities.

Yeah, very aware and I'm sure that's the case. If there's any American based moss sellers I've yet to find please to chime in..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yeah, very aware and I'm sure that's the case. If there's any American based moss sellers I've yet to find please to chime in..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I got some killer mosses from hanaquatics.com, out of mass.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Han is a good seller. Have you looked at Peabody's Paradise too? Also keep an eye out in the classifieds here and in The Planted Tank Forum.

I'll 2nd the Han Aquatics recommendation. He's got some good stuff on his site and he answers any email questions you have too.

I have just ordered from han and he seems like a good guy. He is a redditor and I he was nice enough to add a little extra in the package.

I have just ordered from han and he seems like a good guy. He is a redditor and I he was nice enough to add a little extra in the package.

I just scooped up a nice plant deal too. First order came with an extra ball of peacock moss.. pretty cool. I've been meaning to try peabodys paradise, heard excellent things about plant quality, i want to employ some of the clay root tabs they sell too.. maybe Santa will get me some!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom