best tank mates?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jdizzle3id

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am thinking of adding some loaches to my tank. It's a 70 gal with 6 balas and 6 tiger barbs. My lfs has skunk loaches and zebra loaches. I would actually prefer to go with yoyo's but none are available locally and i don't want to have them shipped. I have read that skunk loaches can get rather aggressive but I can't imagine them bothering balas or tiger barbs too badly. Anyway I was just wondering what you guy thought I should go with. zebras or skunks?

My concern here is that you're going to be overstocked pretty quickly because of the balas.

Although balas are peaceful, they get huge (reportedly 6 ft in nature), and grow fast. You really don't need to be adding more fish. This includes bottom feeders because the balas will pick the bottom clean.

largest I have seen in a home aquaria on a bala was 10 inches, but I am sure they can get a tad larger, say a foot. either way, 6 10inh or 6 foot long fish is pretty much the stockin max of a 75 gallon tank, especially when they are all in the same area of the water column, like the same type of fish would be.

Back
Top Bottom