Best tank mates for Rainbow Fish 45 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lucas82

Aquarium Advice Regular
I just ordered my new Rainbow fish for my 45 gallon tank (3 Lake Tebera and 2 Goyder River). I am only getting 5 of these so I don't stress the fish out. Are there any other small tank mates (Neon Tetras? or something else) that I could put in to fill some of the tank space or would this still be pushing the overstock limit? Thanks in advance:)

Re:

I have one tetra that I left in there after I transferred my african cichlids out of it today. He seems happy so if he isn't any harm to the rainbows I will leave him in there. I will add a plecostomus tomorrow.

You could have an angel fish or two, a mix of types of rainbows- threadfins and blue eyes are cute. Cories or a small pleco for the bottom.

re:

Thanks so much Hholly. That gives me some good ideas to look into. I'll post some pics soon

Bristlenoses are great I got five really little ones grow in my small tank, i got two bigger tanks to transfer them into I got them for 50 cents

Threadfins are quite a bit smaller and might not be able to compete for food. I looked up the Lake Tebera and it said over 4". I would not mix tiny Rainbows in with fish 3x their size. JMHO.

I would research fish from similar habitats that are close in activity level and temperament.

I do think a group of Cories or Loaches would work for the bottom.

Angels are beautiful but can be the tank bully. I'd feature your Rainbows and some great plants :)

I've kept threadfins with much larger peaceful fish with no problems. They like the crushed up pieces of flake food. A single angel isn't likely to be aggressive enough to hurt rainbows which are fast swimmers. They ignore each other in my aquarium.

I've kept threadfins with much larger peaceful fish with no problems. They like the crushed up pieces of flake food. A single angel isn't likely to be aggressive enough to hurt rainbows which are fast swimmers. They ignore each other in my aquarium.

Great. My Threadfins are the biggest fish in my Shrimp Jungle LOL. Glad to hear they can work out.

I have one threadfin with ten regular bows and she has not problems at all. Matter a fact, she thinks she's one of the big ones and schools with them all the time.

Back
Top Bottom