best tank shape/size

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

maxwellag

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have been tank shopping lately, and was wondering what the best tank size and shape is. My options are 36 gallon bow front, 45 gallon column, and 37 column. Which is best?

It really depends on what you want to stock it with. Generally the more surface area, the better. There are exceptions based on stocking though (i.e. angels) where a taller tank makes better sense.

I like the Bowfront but that is just me because I think it gives them room the swim across.

I just like the bow front better. It's personal preference, but what fish you choose will also affect tank shape too, as Fishkeeper and HN1 have mentioned.

So basically, you are looking for a tank that has roughly the same footprint as a 29 gallon? I'd personally go for the 36 bowfront over the column tanks. Column tanks look cool, but the vertical space is less appreciated than horizontal space by most fish.

I am only allowed to get a tank in the forty gallon or smaller range. I like the bow front one best.

maxwellag said:
I am only allowed to get a tank in the forty gallon or smaller range. I like the bow front one best.

If your looking in the 40 or less range I would not consider anything other than a 40 breeder. The perfect footprint especially for planting.

Rhino said:
If your looking in the 40 or less range I would not consider anything other than a 40 breeder. The perfect footprint especially for planting.

OK. Thanks

What stand should I get? I saw an iron one that was cheap, but it didnt look very nice.

Rhino said:

I agree!

Completely agree. My plants are thriving in my tank.

What stand should I get? I saw an iron one that was cheap, but it didnt look very nice.

For something nice, you can always buy one that is custom-made from an LFS or make one yourself. To save time, I ordered one from the store here that cost around 90-100$ (can't remember the exact price) that came with a very spacious cabinet under it. Then I stained it myself with a brown coffee color. It took about a week or so to get the stand with the cabinet, stain it, and then wipe the stain off.

bruinsbro1997 said:
Completely agree. My plants are thriving in my tank.

For something nice, you can always buy one that is custom-made from an LFS or make one yourself. To save time, I ordered one from the store here that cost around 90-100$ (can't remember the exact price) that came with a very spacious cabinet under it. Then I stained it myself with a brown coffee color. It took about a week or so to get the stand with the cabinet, stain it, and then wipe the stain off.

My LFSs don't make stands... Lol. Maybe I should check Craigslist.

bruinsbro1997 said:
You can always go the DIY route (y)

I'm not exactly a carpenter... But my grandfather is awesome. Maybe that'll be my birthday present next year

Back
Top Bottom