best test kit??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shadylady23

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi everyone,

I'm looking to buy a new test kit as mine is very old and yesterday I broke my test tube anyways. I'm obviously looking for a good value and a good product, any suggestions? I saw one on Walmart's website for like 15 bucks, but it doesn't have a Nitrate test, would I still need that? It did however include PH, ammonia, Nitrite, looks like more stuff too, but not too sure what they are....

Oh, also, what would be good to put on the end of my filter to keep my baby mollies from getting sucked up?

I am a huge fan of the API Freshwater Master Test Kit. The only test that you may have a hard time reading is the Nitrates. It only gets "unreadable" past 40 and if it is that high, a water change is required anyway.

IMO, yes, you need a Nitrate. I only use Ammonia and Nitrite when cycling. After the tank is cycled I only use Nitrate and occasionally pH. And after a while I stop testing all together unless something is amiss with the fish or tank conditions. So you will definitely want a Nitrate kit since it is the ultimate product of a cycled tank.

I use a new un-work/un-washed pantyhose. just cut it short to fit on the filter intake and tie with a rubberband.

2nd the API master kit.

An alternative to pantyhose is filter sponge. You can get a small Aquaclear sponge filter (or generic sponge) & cut a hole/slits halfway down the sponge to make a kind of a sock to fit over your filter intake. <Or wet the sponge, freeze it & drill a hole with a power drill.> You can also get a cheap generic sponge filter sleeve from Walmart (for the Magnum canister & the Walmart knockoff). This is basically a 1/4" thick sheet of coarse filter foam. Cut a piece out & attach to the intake with a rubber band, or you can sew a prettier sock like covering.

I got mine at PetSmart. Big Al's also have them. <Since I am in Canada, might not work for you .... but the API is carried by lots of lfs.>

Dont use those dip stick testers, I haven't found a brand yet that is anywhere near consistent or accurate.
The last one I got at wal mart tested 3PPM nitrite on distilled water.

The master kit and another test kit I have both said 0ppm.
So I dipped my 40 gal tank... it said 3ppm
I did a master kit test, it was less than .25ppm

I dip tested a bottle of spring water. 3ppm.

LOL

I agree, buy the api master kit.

Back
Top Bottom