Best thermometer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mxfj40

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I purchased two different thermometers for my 34 g. tank. One is glass that goes inside and the other is the strip kind on the outside. The temp. reading on the inside one seems to stay constant at around 82 deg. The strip on the outside reads 78 deg. The pointer on my 200w. visi-therm heater is set at 76 deg. Which thermometer is giving me the most accurate reading? Is the strip on the outside affected by room temp?

Is the strip on the outside affected by room temp?

To some degree yes. For example if you put your hand over it for a min or so the temp will rise. Its really takeing the temp of the glass and unless your glass is real thick it will be close to the water temp inside.

I would say the glass thermo inside the tank is the correct reading. You can't pay any attention to what the heater is set at...those scales are rarely accurate.
Logan J

Totally agree with freek and logan. Even though i don't care for the appearance of the glass thermometers, i use them in all tanks because i believe they are the most accurate.

Also, just my opinion here, the stick on strips seem to become less accurate over time.

Thanks for all the help to all of you. I will use the inside thermometer for future readings.

Back
Top Bottom