Best type of corydoras for my tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sublimer

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
20 gallon long freshwater
PFS substrate
1 Dalmatian molly
3 red wag platies
*looking to add a small school of 5-6 zebra danios soon*

My main showcase will be the cories but I'm wondering what kind you guys who have experience think would best be suited for my tank. I'd like to get 3 of a kind

If you get pandas you could have 4 :) they really like big groups. make sure your tank is really established and well cycled before adding cories.

Any of the smaller Cory's would do great in your 20 long. Stick to the ones that max at 2" or so, 4 of the larger Cory's like emeralds would be a little crowded. I have pandas and another type in my 20. Be sure to check the temp range for whatever Cory you get though, some like it to be a little cooler, pandas probably shouldn't be kept above 75f.

I do like the coloration of the emeralds but I don't want them to be too big. I especially like their tall dorsal fins so I'm hoping I can find that in a different type of cory.

Besides sizes, are there any major behavioural differences I should be aware about when selecting corys?

I do like the coloration of the emeralds but I don't want them to be too big. I especially like their tall dorsal fins so I'm hoping I can find that in a different type of cory.

Besides sizes, are there any major behavioural differences I should be aware about when selecting corys?

I meant not to do emeralds maybe I said it wrong haha. There are several Cory's with high dorsal fins, just google "types of corydoras", I did this yesterday trying to ID some of mine. There's a link for the "cat-e-log" that you can look at many of the types of Cory's. also, Cory's act pretty much the same, very peaceful and active. You can even mix and match different types to create your shoal as long as they have about the same max size, my suggestion is get two of each type you want like 2 juliis, 2 pandas, 2....

All cories are the same. Super peaceful and puppy-ish. You could do Pygmy cories and get about 10 of them. Or 4-6 pepper, julli, false julli, panda, or skunk.

Well after some thought I find that my current front runner is the peppered cories (I can't afford adolfoi...) but let's say I wanted to add an albino to the team later on down the road. Would this work, or would it need a companion?

Well after some thought I find that my current front runner is the peppered cories (I can't afford adolfoi...) but let's say I wanted to add an albino to the team later on down the road. Would this work, or would it need a companion?

In theory you can mix the corys, but to be safe I would get two albinos if you decide to get them

Back
Top Bottom