best use for a fw 10 gallon.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joejeff

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a 10gallon that is established and is now empty. What is the coolest thing to put in it iyo.

A colored crayfish.

Planted with fancy shrimp and galaxy rasboras would be nice too.

Paint it all black and get glofish.

Planted with some colorful killifish.

maxwellag said:
A quarantine tank
Micro or nano fish like chili rasboras

A Styrofoam cooler Wrks for quarantine tank as long as I keep established sponge filter to put in it for bb transfer rt? Glo fish...I have issue with... I Nvr really though about planting a 10 gallon. But shrimp sound interesting. How many shrimp could I put in a 10? Aren't many fish that wrk in those I imagine...

The smallers rasboras work great in a ten gallon.

What is wrong with glofish?

You can fit a lot of shrimp in a ten gallon, and many/most will breed easily for you.

joejeff said:
I have a 10gallon that is established and is now empty. What is the coolest thing to put in it iyo.

I have mine with black sand, led lights, some real plants, rocks, 3 types of shrimp (cherry, tiger, amanno), cherry barbs, apple snail and 3 panda corys, and the tank is a hit....

Just an idea....

IMO the best 10g tank would be heavily planted with bee shrimp and either red cherry shrimp or pearl blue shrimp and lots of them!!!
That or maybe some awesome killifish with a semi-planted tank!

Fishguy2727 said:
The smallers rasboras work great in a ten gallon.

What is wrong with glofish?

You can fit a lot of shrimp in a ten gallon, and many/most will breed easily for you.

The whole DNA splicing w a jelly fish is weird to me. Danios are awesome fish through normal breeding... I see it along the same lines as the painted fish stores sell... But this seems to be a touchy topic... So back to my 10 gallon lol.

AquaKai said:
IMO the best 10g tank would be heavily planted with bee shrimp and either red cherry shrimp or pearl blue shrimp and lots of them!!!
That or maybe some awesome killifish with a semi-planted tank!

Idk Wat a killifish are. What else could be tank mates w shrimp in a ten? Or should it be pleasing w just them? I would have to invest in a little better lighting. It is incandescent rt now... Is it true shrimp don't require a heater? BTW I live in fl so it doesn't ever get super cold Amd my house stays between 70-72...

A glo fish has no place in a tank smaller than a 20g long. They are extremely active, trust me I had some in a 10g for a little while and they were really cramped so I took them back.

Kilis are these neat little fish, kinda like a guppy in a way. You could keep some certain shrimp species in an unheated tank, but if you decided to put any tropical fish in with them you would have to go with a heated tank. You could put in some cherry barbs, micro/nano fish, or killis as stated and the wouldn't bother the shrimp.

Galaxy rasboras are perfect with fancy shrimp.

You don't need a new fixture, with incandescents you can just use the screw-in compact fluorescent bulbs. Coralife makes some that are perfect for this. They come in 10 and 20 watts and two different colors: Colormax and 50/50.

Not to make an issue of it, but glofish are different from dyed and injected fish in one very important aspect, they are not harmed in any way by being colored. It was done once to introduce the gene for pigment into their genome, now it passed on. Not liking them is a personal opinion, I just want people to know they are not harmed in any way like dyed/injected fish.

joejeff said:
Idk Wat a killifish are. What else could be tank mates w shrimp in a ten? Or should it be pleasing w just them? I would have to invest in a little better lighting. It is incandescent rt now... Is it true shrimp don't require a heater? BTW I live in fl so it doesn't ever get super cold Amd my house stays between 70-72...

Killifish are just another type of fish. There are tons out there, just google them and there are pages upon pages of them!
For shrimp, if you go with some cheaper ones to begin with you could do some of the smaller fish like chili rasboras or gold-ring danio. Anything really small that wouldn't eat the shrimp would be good. I have a small 2.5g tank with only tiger shrimp in it and I watch it for hours! They are amusing little creatures to watch, but you could go either way. I have 2 10w twisty bulbs from lowes that I use to grow my plants in my 13g and it works fine with me. As long as you stay with some of the easier plants you'll be fine with those bulbs. As for the heater I don't use one and I'm in Ohio. As long as the tank stays pretty normal with the temperature and doesn't change rapidly you're good!!!

AquaKai said:
Killifish are just another type of fish. There are tons out there, just google them and there are pages upon pages of them!
For shrimp, if you go with some cheaper ones to begin with you could do some of the smaller fish like chili rasboras or gold-ring danio. Anything really small that wouldn't eat the shrimp would be good. I have a small 2.5g tank with only tiger shrimp in it and I watch it for hours! They are amusing little creatures to watch, but you could go either way. I have 2 10w twisty bulbs from lowes that I use to grow my plants in my 13g and it works fine with me. As long as you stay with some of the easier plants you'll be fine with those bulbs. As for the heater I don't use one and I'm in Ohio. As long as the tank stays pretty normal with the temperature and doesn't change rapidly you're good!!!

Ya those bulb do give u the Kelvin and everything. But I have heard that non-aquarium bulbs can cause excess algae growth. Or something like that, you haven't had any trouble?

Can bettas live w shrimp? Would love to have one in a planted tank...

I have no ethical issues with Glo fish, but I do think they need a tank about 30" long.

A 10g makes an awesome nano community. You could do a school of 12 boraras brigittae or 8-10 microdevario kubotai, along with 6 corydoras habrosus, and for centerpeice fish a trio of sparkling gourami, or a few dario dario.

Worse case I just have to find a decent jar and sponge filter it I guess. So I.guess I can I will get some ghost shrimp first and test the betta and b4 I get some nice shrimp

Yes and no. Yes, getting some cheaper ghost shrimp would be the way to go if you want to see how a betta will react to tank mates. No, you will need to get the betta a decent size tank. No jar will do long term IMO.

I like siva's idea of a few mid level schoolers, bottom dwellers, and a center piece.

adadkins1 said:
Yes and no. Yes, getting some cheaper ghost shrimp would be the way to go if you want to see how a betta will react to tank mates. No, you will need to get the betta a decent size tank. No jar will do long term IMO.

I like siva's idea of a few mid level schoolers, bottom dwellers, and a center piece.

A center piece.? Like one large plant? I was thinking goin planted all the way! I am starting to live that aspect of this hobby more Amd more

Back
Top Bottom