Best Water Conditioner?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

twincessna340a

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I currently have been using Aqueon's for the past five months to which my fish seem to respond well to, but I was wondering how it compares to Seachem, Kordon, and API (which seems to split it into 3 products!)

Thanks!

I use Prime or Tetra Aquasafe. Prime smells and Aquasafe will gum up the measuring cap. They both do their jobs and are close in cost per gallon treated.

I use tetra aquasafe, the only way itll gum up in the cap is if you dont pour it all, prime is also good if your water source has ammonia.

Prime, IMO, is hands down the best, easiest, and most cost effective.

I have both Prime and the OP's Aqueon water conditioner; I have been using the Prime instead of the Aqueon since I got it, but will probably just go back to the Aqueon once the Prime is finished...

As for which is "better," I don't really know; both seem to dechlorify the water correctly, which is what we all use these products for, but I can definitely attest to Prime's horiffic odor...:eyes:

But one thing I don't understand or agree with is everyone's feeling that Prime "lasts forever;" if this is in reference to the bottles' capacities, I don't understand this because my smaller bottle of Prime is getting near empty and I didn't think I used it all that much (just when replacing water from evaporation or previous water changes). It also appears to cloud my water a bit -- but this is probably not normal.

I can buy one bottle of Prime (4 tanks) and it lasts me about 4-6 months. One bottle of Aquasafe lasts about 3 weeks.

I can buy one bottle of Prime (4 tanks) and it lasts me about 4-6 months. One bottle of Aquasafe lasts about 3 weeks.

What size bottle of Prime? How much are you using of it between your four tanks?

I can't believe those statistics; my smaller bottle of Prime is nearly finished, and I have only one 60 gallon...

Prime uses 5ml per 50 gallons... most water conditioners on the market use 5ml per 10 gallons. my 500ml bottle ($11 online) will dechlor approx. 5000 gallons. Doing 50% water changes on my 150g and two 10g tanks, a bottle of prime lasts me about 6 months (+/-)

Prime is way more concentrated than other brands. (That's why it smells. Most dechlor has more or less the same active ingredient.) So Prime is more cost effective than others ... but all work more or less the same IMO.

What size bottle of Prime? How much are you using of it between your four tanks?

I can't believe those statistics; my smaller bottle of Prime is nearly finished, and I have only one 60 gallon...

Believe what you will.
I have a 5G, two 10G's and a 20G, and do 50% pwcs once a week, twice on the 5G. I also use the 500 ml bottle like Rookie. For 10 gallons, you only fill the cap up to the first line, which isn't much.

Prime uses 5ml per 50 gallons... most water conditioners on the market use 5ml per 10 gallons. my 500ml bottle ($11 online) will dechlor approx. 5000 gallons. Doing 50% water changes on my 150g and two 10g tanks, a bottle of prime lasts me about 6 months (+/-)

That's true; it does say one capful for every 50 gallons, which is why I drop in about two capfuls for my 60...

Is this dosage about right? Still, the bottle is near empty...

Believe what you will.
I have a 5G, two 10G's and a 20G, and do 50% pwcs once a week, twice on the 5G. I also use the 500 ml bottle like Rookie. For 10 gallons, you only fill the cap up to the first line, which isn't much.

Well, perhaps for 10 gallons, the first line of the cap is indeed not much -- but I drop normally two capfuls for my 60 gallon in...

In all fairness, now that I am thinking about it, I did drop a lot of Prime in when I was doing water replacements and changes some time back because what I was doing was adding Prime to each individual jar load of water instead of adding it to the tank itself once the new water was in...so that probably had something to do with the reason my bottle went down so fast...

Back
Top Bottom