Best Way to Clean a New Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JMeyer

Aquarium Advice Regular
So I just bought a new 55 gallon tank with a heater, lights, and a couple filters all for $80 (what a steal). Anyway, the tank is quite filthy and I wondered what the best way was to clean the tank. I know soap is a no-no. In the past I have just used cold water and scrubbed down new tanks. Are there good products out there for this I should be aware of? Or does cold water do the trick? Thanks in advance.

Use a diluted bleach (unscented, just bleach) solution if you go that route 1/4 cup per gallon of water should do the job.... rinse the pogies out of it. When you fill the tank, a full dose of PRIME will dechlorinate (bleach is chlorine) the water. Wait 24 hours before you start cycling to be safe. (That's how I do it anyway)

White vinegar and warm water are my go to for cleaning tanks. You can also use green scrub pads as long as they haven't been used with other cleaning products.

I never put bleach into a tank I'm going to add ammonia to (for the cycle). Together those 2 create poisonous chlorine gas.
So I always use vinegar to clean it.

Back
Top Bottom