Best Way to Clean Decorations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kwannon

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi everyone! I've been reading here for the last couple weeks, but this is my first actual post.

I recently inherited a 55 gal tank when I moved into a new house, and I'm starting to notice a lot of greenish algae growing on the artificial plants, rocks and driftwood, and even on the gravel.

What's the best way to clean this stuff off? I used a toothbrush before on the plants, but haven't done anything with the rock or wood yet. I'm really paranoid that I'll clean it the wrong way and contaminate my tank. I've never had a tank before so I'm pretty new to all this!

Hi,

If your tank doesn't currently have any inhabitants or if the tank is not overstocked yet, you can get some algae eating fish. I heard good things about otos(sp?). Also to help, make sure that it isn't in the path of direct sunlight or not subjected to direct sunlight for prolong periods of time. And not leaving the lights on in the tank will help reduce the algae.

Cheers :)

Just get a fun algae eater.
Even a less than common plec. The plecs get along with most other fishies. If you do get a plec, don't get a common as they can really pack on the grams and will eventually give up on the home produced green stuff. A 55 is a lot of work for an otto, but they are industrious little guys. Jeff

I have 3 otos in my 20 gal and they eat like crazy. If you got 4-5 otos for your tank, that would be perfect. Also, you could get a CAE with your 4-5 otos

[center:fefbd2b209] :smilecolros: Welcome to AA, kwannon!! :n00b: [/center:fefbd2b209]

Before you do anything, answer these Qs:
1~What are your tank parameters (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, temp, pH)? Please give exact values.
2~How long has the tank been set up (if you know)?
3~What type of filtration are you using? Please give the name and number (i.e. Fluval 304) and amount of gph if known.
6~How many fish are in the tank? What kinds of fish are they and what are there current sizes?
7~When is the last time you did a water change and vacuum the gravel? How often do you do this? How much water do you remove at a time?

I know it's a lot of Qs, but this is the best way to figure out why the algea is everywhere!

I would like to add to your list, if I could.

Is your tank near a window? How long is your tank light on?

As for cleaning the decor. I personally just swish it around in my bucket of water that I just removed during my water change. And if the algae is really bad, I would just take my finger and gently rub it in the bucket.

But most of the time, my pitbull pleco will take care of it all. :D

I'll answer the tank parameter questions when I get home and run a test - although I do know that my nitrates are a little on the high side, but I'm due for a water change this weekend.

2~How long has the tank been set up (if you know)?
Don't know. Bought the house and the tank and fish came with it. The owners home since it was built 10 years ago, so it could even be that old.

3~What type of filtration are you using? Please give the name and number (i.e. Fluval 304) and amount of gph if known.
There's a Millenium 2000 wet dry, as well as an undergravel filter. It took me a while to figure out I had an undergravel filter since I never had an aquarium before and the owners didn't tell me what kind of filter they had. I have this nagging feeling that I need more filtration - any ideas?

6~How many fish are in the tank? What kinds of fish are they and what are there current sizes?
4 fish - 2 silver dollars and 2 blood parrots, all of them are 4-5 inches.

7~When is the last time you did a water change and vacuum the gravel? How often do you do this? How much water do you remove at a time?
Did a water change/gravel vacuum 2 weeks ago, and I do some gravel vacuuming about 3-4 times a week. Water changes happen every 2-3 weeks and I change at least a third of the water.

Is your tank near a window? How long is your tank light on?
It's near a window, but gets no direct sunlight. The light is on about 12 hours a day. I know I need to get a timer to lessen the time.

I was thinking of getting an oto, because I don't want to get a pleco or CAE that would get too big (big fish scare me!) but then again, the otos might get eaten by the other fishes so I'm still researching.

I know what you mean when you say big fish scare you. My friend gave me a tank with a 6 or 7" pleco in it and I had to get someone to take it to the pet store for me :)

Hi kwannon,
Here's a nice link about otos: http://www.otocinclus.com/newoto.html
At the bottom of the page, click on "Back to Main" to read the other articles if you want.

I would wait to get otos (I don't know how they get along with the other fish you have, so someone else can answer that) but you said your nitrates were high. Otos are sensitive to nitrates and the nitrates need to be under 20 ppm. They also feel more comfortable in a group, so get at least three. I agree with Mofo2713 that you could get 4 or 5 in your tank, if they will be compatible.

You should be doing water changes once a week; that may be why the nitrates are high. Vaccuum half the tank at each change, and remove 20-25% of the water. This way you remove some of the waste and uneaten food, but you don't disturb too many of the colonies of the good bacteria in the tank. The good bacteria mostly live in your filter media or sponge, but they can live on any tank surface -- gravel, decorations, etc. Changing 20-25% of the water once a week, in a cycled tank, will keep the nitrates between 20-40 ppm. Since otos like the nitrates to be below 20 ppm, you may need to check them more frequently and do a small, 10% water change if necessary. Live plants also will use nitrates. You don't have to have special light or a planted tank setup to keep some java moss. I have 2 clumps in each of my tanks (plus another plant) and my nitrates have been 0 for awhile.

Also, doing water changes less often, like every 2 weeks, and removing more than 25% or so of the water at a time can be stressful to the fish. With a large quantity of new water being added to the tank, the pH or temperature is likely to be different. I try as best as I can to match the temperture but the pH of the replacement water is usually a little higher than the tank water. But this isn't a problem if you are not changing a large amount of water at once (others can explain water chemistry better than I can!)

Good luck, and don't forget to post your water parameters! :)

Not all plecos get big!! The pitbull pleco mentioned above should reach 2-3". Rubberlips, clowns and bristle noses reach 4-5".

As for the filtration, I am not familar to the Millenium 2000 wet dry. You may want to take out the UGF and add another filter in place of that.

Back
Top Bottom