best way to move rummy nose without stressing them?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SeymourFRESH

Aquarium Advice Freak
in addition to my pleco post, i also have 7 rummy nose tetras QTed in a 55 gallon, but they are impossible to catch practically. i've had 5 out of 12 of them die just from being stressed because of their new tank (i'm assuming that's why they died, it was ridiculous), and i was THINKING about waiting until they go to "sleep mode" to catch them to bring them to my 92 gallon. but my whole problem is, i'm afraid that more of them are going to die if i move them.

do you guys think catching them while they're asleep would be my best bet?

I'd suggest trying a fish trap. For the rummy nose, take a 2 liter bottle, cut the top off just where it reaches the full size of the bottle and flip it around so the lid is pointing into the bottle. Drop some flakes in there and sink it in the tank, then wait.

If after an hour or so they aren't stuck in there, you can herd them easily enough most times. Then just move the whole bottle to the new tank and remove the lid or pour them in. If you catch extraneous fish you can pour them into a net to seperate them.

that's a great idea! i've never thought about that, even though i've seen traps like that before made to kill bees! all you do is let them drown in the soda

good call

Back
Top Bottom