Beta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Usually not. Neons can nip at bettas fins, while bettas can eat neon tetras. You can try it and it might work for you, there is an occasional exception.

If you like the neons, look at cardinal tetras. Similar, but not nippy and too big for a betta to eat.

I would pay to see the betta that could eat a full grown neon. Go with embers or glo-lights they are hardier and nicer looking fish.

i think theyed be fine,neons normally arent nippy in proper schools,and im with rich on a betta eating neons

I have 14 green neon tetras with my two betta imbellis' and all is well. Mr. Smith has more issues with the overly curious blue-eyed forktails, than the neons. YMMV, obviously, but I suggest acquiring a decent school and there should be little to no issue.

Wowzers first time I hear neon tetras shouldn't be put with a betta :-/
I've never had that problem (yet) could it be you guys had them in small tanks? I've housed my betta in a 10g with 6 neon tetras.
Well hope it works out.

My research indicated that six, is the fewest number of fish recommended for a school of tetras. Apparently, this limits the potential for nipping at other fish as any aggression will be taken out upon their species mates. So, if your tank has room, more than six individuals in the school may be ideal. In my experience, it's worked out well; The Blue School sticks together like glue and ignores Mr. & Mrs. Smith (betta imbellis pair), entirely.

Last edited:
I had a 10 with neons and a betta. The aggression on both parts were significantly curved with the addition of lots of live plants, but I'm taking the neons out because they get chased too much

Back
Top Bottom