Betas in a community tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jarred Darque

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Just wondering if there is a tank large enough to house 2 male bettas?

Also, would bettas cause a problem if I introduce angels to a large community tank? Just wondering if other fish with long fins would be a problem at all?

I'm guessing people would recommend against it. If you chose to go ahead with it, they'd probably tell you to make it densely plants, breaking all lines of sight..

well, my community tank is a 75 gallon, which I am wondering if that is big enough

Bettas are fighting fish, They will attack others on sight but mostly any long finned fish or brightly colored.
My daughter tried putting a male Betta in a tank with some red wagtail platties, Bad idea.
PS: my community tank is 75 gallons as well. The fish travel all over the tank so there is no such thing as keeping them seperated.

You could do females if you were careful (1 or 3+, never just 2). I had a female living quite happily with tetras and cories.

My male, however, had a conniption fit when he was close enough to that tank to see the other fish clearly. Needless to say he doesn't have any buddies.

Bettas are my specialty and you should never ever never ever house to males together EVER. People say that if they were siblings they'll be okay and these were only halfmoons which are the least aggresive strain. Don't house to males together you'll and up with 1 or 2 dead fish

I thought it'd be the opposite. Angelfish are normally peaceful fish (except with neons) and bettas are the nippers?

ok thanks.

right now I have a beautiful male betta in the 75 with some neons, silver dollars, cories, a pleco and a pictus cat. Everything is fine so far. I am planning on getting angels, and if I see trouble, I will move the betta into another tank.

oh yeah, I do have two female fancy guppies. (only females, since they are pregnant, and when they have fry, the fry will be natural food for the bigger fishies.

I've got a crowntail in a 25 with a few platies and long finned danios. He's an incredibly chill fish and swims right along with the rest of them. I do have a clay pot turned on it's side that he goes into when he wants to be alone and none of the fish venture in there. BUT and this is a huge BUT, not every betta is as chill as PorkCop. I recently got a halfmoon (i think he's still a juvie cuz he's massively small compared to my other ones) and he kept poking at the cories I had in with him.

"male betta in the 75 with some neons"
Jarred you may want to be a little careful with that combo. I had a betta in with my neons awhile ago. He was aggressive with the neons sometimes but they were really to fast for him to do anything. However after a few days I noticed small fin damage to my betta where the neons had been nipping at him. Suffice to say he went back to the vase for now

Back
Top Bottom