betta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

New

Aquarium Advice FINatic
my sister is going away for college and she gave me her abused betta to take care of (its in one of those 1/4 gallon betta kits, un-heated, un-filtered). all i have available is a roughly 2 gallon vase (i used the vase for growing hornwort so it's got live plants). i can't get it a better home because my parents don't want me to have another fish tank, any tips? (i have a betta in a nice heated, filtered 5.5 gallon tank all to himself, so i know what they require which is why i'm asking for help)

You obviously take care of your own betta. Since your parents won't allow you to properly house another, maybe you could give the other betta to someone who really wants one and can house it properly.... ;)

You obviously take care of your own betta. Since your parents won't allow you to properly house another, maybe you could give the other betta to someone who really wants one and can house it properly.... ;)

i would love to, but my sister wants it in the house for when she comes back to visit, i feel terrible not being able to provide it with a suitable home D:

I can tell that you feel bad. Maybe you can tell your sister that the hardest lesson we learn as fishkeepers is that it's not about us, it's about the fish. We must do what's right for them and put our own needs or desires aside.

i would love to...but she's not into fish keeping at all, the betta was an impulse buy for her....she thinks its in a suitable home in the 1/4 gal, i just hope i can convince her to let me put it in the vase...its better than the "cup" its in now

Although a vase would provide more water, it's still not a suitable home. I don't know how to say this without sounding mean, but I think your sister is being pretty selfish.

Would your parents be okay with buying HER a 5 gallon heated filtered tank?

i don't think so, shes leaving for college so that won't happen, and i know a vase isn't even close to a suitable home :/ she thinks fish are just for her to look at

Well, I can only offer my opinion and advice. Ultimately, the betta's fate rests in the hands of your family.

Ask your parents for a ten gallon, explain that your sister isn't housing the fish correctly, remind them of *your* set up and then ask for the ten gallon and get a tank divider. Then refuse to give back the fish. ~smirks~ I'm mean like that.

The other option is to refuse, flatly, since she won't spring for the proper care of the fish, hand it back over to her and make her take it with so she can try and care for it at college. I don't expect the fish to survive if you do this, but it's an option. Basically, since she's not caring for her pet, and your parents won't help you care for her pet. Make her deal with it. She's old enough for college, she's old enough to deal.

Last edited:
yeah, shes kinda....mean, and i figure that i can care for it more than her, even if its still not up-to-snuff...

The vase would be far superior to the 1/4 gallon container IMO. With a desk lamp over it, the hornwort should grow quickly enough for nutrient export. When hornwort is happy, it is an extremely fast grower.

Is it ideal? No, I wouldn't say so. But if you don't have a say in a tank upgrade or rehome, IMO it is workable.

yeah, its got live hornwort in it (From clippings) and its got a lamp over it w/ a 15 watt bulb over it, so it will prob grow pretty nicely, and i know i will have to do a lot of pwcs :p

wait til she leaves and tell her it died and give it away

alLexX said:
wait til she leaves and tell her it died and give it away

HA! sadly, that's probably what I would do. But lying gets you nowhere (at least that's what my parents say.)

Just buy the tank, your parents wont even know! Then if they do find out blame it on your sister, say she bought it before she selFISHly went to Uni :) .

Might be a 1 for Jerry Springer this...

you could divide up the 5g also, I know a solo betta in a filtered heated 5g is the standard response around here but it doesn't necessarily mean it's an absolute. If you do divide the tank be sure that the fish don't stress out over each other or it won't work long term.

Back
Top Bottom