Betta...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishfan88

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My brother got this betta for his birthday, and I've had him for about a year. He's in a bowl, and has been since we got him... I didn't know before that bettas needed a heater or anything like that... Anyway, this guy seems to just keep getting worse and worse. He doesn't really move off the bottom of the bowl, and he looks kinda torn up now. He doesn't eat much at all, and seems to have trouble when he does. I can't get him a better tank. I tried putting him in with my guppies, but he just all of a sudden came to life and got really aggressive. So my question is this. Should I just wait for him to die, you should I do something about it? The only thing I could do really is euthanize him... And I don't want to do that unless he is really suffering... I'll attach a picture of him. Thanks for reading. (sorry for the bad quality pics)

Attachments

• image-3968390699.jpg
    image-3968390699.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 91
  • image-1602288266.jpg
    image-1602288266.jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 92
  • image-2427224803.jpg
    image-2427224803.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 90
get a divider for the tank with the guppies, and give the betta about 1/4 of the tank, will be much better then the bowl, plus heat and clean water.

Hey thats a good idea :) thanks! I don't know when I'll be able to get a divider though... I have a small breeder... Think that'd be okay for a while?

I might end up having to use the breeder for one of the guppies though... And do you know how much a divider would be?

Dependent on size, dividers should be $10 to $15. That's Canadian so you may find them even cheaper in US.

I think also it's a good sign he livened up with the guppies. Really, try to get the divider and see what happens. Not sure about the breeder box. How big? At least he'd have the filtration and heat, though...

I live in Canada. So you think I should put him in the breeder until I get a divider? I'm kinda worried he'll go crazy when he sees the other fish... Or is that a good thing? :p here is a pic of the breeder box. I could take out the part that's supposed to separate the female fish from the fry so he'd have more space

Attachments

• image-3335895246.jpg
    image-3335895246.jpg
    161.6 KB · Views: 66
well ill let Jantaris point you to were you can get a divider from unless you already know :p

and the breeder box can work if its just temporary, try to cover it with the some floating plants if you can to break up his line of site with the guppys, looks like you have live plants

Try the breeder. Do what you can until you can get a better situation. Go to Petsmart when you have a chance. We just got a divider yesterday for a 20g for $12.99.

Gauge how he reacts in the breeder. If you read the posts over people have put about bettas, they all say how their personalities are all different and that some do better with other fish. Regardless, it'll be a new enviro so a shock. He may see those guppies as a threat. But he'll be separated from them. Other thing to consider: is this a sick fish or just a really unhappy one... ???
And I agree about adding the plants.

Try the breeder. Do what you can until you can get a better situation. Go to Petsmart when you have a chance. We just got a divider yesterday for a 20g for $12.99.

Gauge how he reacts in the breeder. If you read the posts over people have put about bettas, they all say how there personalities are all different and that some do better with other fish. Regardless, it'll be a new enviro so a shock. He may see those guppies as a threat. But he'll be separated from them. Other thing to consider: is this a sick fish or just a really unhappy one... ???

Don't know if he's sick... His fins look kinda torn up, and he doesn't move much though...

To my last question to you: is he sick. Move him to the new situation and time will tell. An enviro change may just be exactly what he needs. Heat and filtration will surely make a big difference. And *some* betta do end up thriving in community tanks with other fish, such as guppies. You really have to watch though as this will NOT work for every betta...

I have tried putting him in there before and he was NOT happy with the guppies. lol. Kinda surprised me because he seemed so calm before... He's probably thinking "oh man! I was in that nice warm clean tank and now I'm back in this stupid bowl again!" lol

Ok so I'll put him in the breeder and try to make one that plant stay beside it to block his view at least a little bit... I guess I'll bag him and let him get used to the water temp first

And to quickly add about my last comment, really research about betta. As I said, sometimes they do well in a community tank, even with guppies. But guppies and betta are a notorious mix as the betta often sees them as a threat. Just do your research on betta and gauge his personality, etc.

He's in a ziplock bag in the tank now. Hasn't taken any notice of the guppies since I put him in though. Hasn't moved from the bottom of the bag. Poor guy :( I hope he livens up a bit...

Okay. He moved off the bottom of the bag, but he hasn't flared at the guppies or anything yet. :D

Great. Just give him time. Even good transition is transition and it will take him time to adapt. But that's a great sign. I think (hope) you'll see him do better in the days to come. Do what you can to give him more room. Try to put the breeder away from the filter and if you divide the tank for him, try to put him in a section without the filtration as they do better in calm water.

Back
Top Bottom