Betta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FallenAngel

Aquarium Advice Freak
I saw this guy at petsmart labeled as a double half moon and was wondering if he has fin rot?ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1408720896.023725.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Sorry, got that wrong, he's a dumbo half moon, are his fins sussposed to be that way?

Alright, thanks, I know dumbos fins are jagged, but I couldn't tell if his where more than normal or not. I bought him so I was trying to decide if I needed to pick up medication or not.

He's a beauty. I'm a bit rusty on my betta terminology, but I believe his fin style is called a halfmoon rose tail not a double halfmoon. Rose tail refers to the ruffle-y/ragged appearance of the fins. He doesn't look like he has a double tail from the picture, but the double portion of the name would mean that his tail is split in two. The dumbo part only refers to the pectoral fins being larger than normal, giving the fish the appearance that it has dumbo ears ;)

He's a beauty. I'm a bit rusty on my betta terminology, but I believe his fin style is called a halfmoon rose tail not a double halfmoon. Rose tail refers to the ruffle-y/ragged appearance of the fins. He doesn't look like he has a double tail from the picture, but the double portion of the name would mean that his tail is split in two. The dumbo part only refers to the pectoral fins being larger than normal, giving the fish the appearance that it has dumbo ears ;)

Thanks a ton for that information. I was thinking he didn't really look like a double tail either and I had no idea what dumbo meant... I didn't mean to buy a Betta but I'm about to have a 10 gallon open at home and this one wouldn't stop looking at me and I'm a weakling for fish in bowls, so I got him.

I would just take care of him, being in a 10g with clean water and a filter will do way more for him than melafix or anything.

Indian almond leaves too. Bettas love the tannins

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I would just take care of him, being in a 10g with clean water and a filter will do way more for him than melafix or anything.

Melafix should never be used on bettas anyways... Theres been several reports that the oils can damage their labyrinth organ and cause them to drown. And besides, there doesn't appear to be anything wrong with his fins, they're supposed to look that way :)

This guy is new to me...But his face looks like the dogs with the smashed in face.

Thanks you guys and I'll have to look into getting those leaves!

This guy is new to me...But his face looks like the dogs with the smashed in face.

Hahaha, he was in a weird angle in that picture, I can see that view to now! Lol, this is a better picture, he doesn't look like a pug in this one.ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1408839496.594484.jpg

Melafix should never be used on bettas anyways... Theres been several reports that the oils can damage their labyrinth organ and cause them to drown. And besides, there doesn't appear to be anything wrong with his fins, they're supposed to look that way :)
Ohh haha well I was just trying to say he will be a lot happier and healthy in a new tank, even my LFS keeps betas in tiny cups -.-...

Ohh haha well I was just trying to say he will be a lot happier and healthy in a new tank, even my LFS keeps betas in tiny cups -.-...

Haha, your good. He's in my 5 gallon now with a filter and heater, but as soon as the 10 gallon empties he's upgrading. He's far more active than my past bettas and I think he would rather enjoy more room. Either way though he's looking great, I am almost certain his fins are fine though one does appear to be tattered more than his type would have, you can't tell from the pics I posted, I think it's just an old injury that's still healing. He's swimming fabulously though so either way it's not bothering him a bit.

Back
Top Bottom