Betta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Trainer_Ruby_

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I recently got a betta and he seems to move much in his tank. I considered moveing him to my 10g but I'm not sure if he'll get along with the zebra danos. Any advice?

Sent from a pelipper

What size tank is he in now? It all depends on the temperament of your individual betta. I know that sometimes people report keeping them with other fish, but I never would, with a male. Had a bad experience many years ago when I didn't know what I was doing. The betta would sneak up to a fish, sidle up close, very slowly, then BOOM! He'd take a bite out of it. I only keep females in a community tank. I have eight, and it works out nicely with many different kinds of fish. Rainbows, balloon mollies, cherry barbs, and angel, dojo loaches. I've noticed a rare female betta will tend to be super bossy, and chase others. I've had to take back two that did that. Otherwise, I've had many female bettas over the last several years, and most are fine in a community tank with nothing that are fin nippers, such as some barbs. You have to be careful in your selection of betta tank mates. I would be much more comfortable with a female betta with your danios, to be honest. Danios are fast, but male bettas are also unpredictable unless you get a mellow, laid back one. You would be taking your chances of finding some ripped apart danios some morning, and that wouldn't be a nice thing to see.

It's a 10g tank and he's been in it before but I removed him because a Molly started tormenting him but sadly the Molly died. But I want to be sure before I put him in

Sent from a pelipper

It's a 10g tank and he's been in it before but I removed him because a Molly started tormenting him but sadly the Molly died. But I want to be sure before I put him in

Sent from a pelipper
I'd go ahead and put him in there. The other fish might bother him, but keep an eye on it.

As to the bettas being aggressive towards other fish, thats a rarity. All fish have their own personalities and it sounds like that single betta was psychotic. That doesn't mean they all are. The vast majority will do perfectly fine in a community setting.

I recently got a betta and he seems to move much in his tank. I considered moveing him to my 10g but I'm not sure if he'll get along with the zebra danos. Any advice?

Sent from a pelipper

Zebra Danios are too zippy. They may nip his fins and grab his food. I find them annoying and recommend 20Long tanks for them.

Mollies should be in 30g or larger, they hit 3-5" and are active swimmers.

I do not have good luck mixing my bettas with other fish. I usually add ghost shrimp and perhaps a snail to their tanks if the tank is big. I usually house my bettas in minimum 2.5 gallon but I prefer 5 to 10 gallons for mine.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1422716708.858793.jpg

My Bettas either kill other fish, or the other fish bite their fins, or the betta gets too fat eating everyone's food, or the other fish steal his food.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Is he hiding to get a way from the water current. Check to make sure the current coming out of the filter is not to strong for him.

Right now he's in a 5g tank with a Cory cat and he just sits in one spot

Sent from a pelipper

A 5g is too small for a Cory. I'd rehome him.

In a 12g I was able to keep 3 White Clouds with my Betta. I tried adding 3 new WCs and the original trio killed them. That Betta slaughtered juvenile Cories.

The Cory is the only one with the betta and he seems fine and he's eating the snails so that's a plus

Sent from a pelipper

The Cory is the only one with the betta and he seems fine and he's eating the snails so that's a plus

Sent from a pelipper

Corys don't normally eat snails. They do best in groups and they need room to grow. What species ?
Most get 2.5-3"

I feed mine shrimp pellets and frozen worms, brine shrimp.

Pic of whole tank and also pic of fish ?

I'm not sure exactly what kind he is but after I put him in I started seeing empty shells laying around ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1422734100.461691.jpg when he was in with others corys he avoided them

Sent from a pelipper

I moved him to my 10g tank and he's moving quite a bit and digging through the sand now I also moved the betta to the 10g to let him move around a bit and he seems to enjoy the space and is getting along with the danos. I'll clean his tank and move him back so the Molly can be at ease ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1422738481.575527.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1422738523.245124.jpg

Sent from a pelipper

Tested the water and the ammonia is .25ppm and the nitrate is 80ppm

Sent from a pelipper

Holy ...,
Water change ASAP and feed very lightly for now.

Any Ammonia is bad and those Nitrates are crazy.

When you retest your nitrates make sure you are shaking the test according to directions , it's easy to get that test wrong.

Gravel vac, but don't suck up the fish.

See if you can get some used filter media from someone with a cycled tank or from your local fish store. Put it into your filter or squeeze it over the filter.

If your other 10g is cycled completely, you can squeeze filter floss from that tank over your 5g filter.

Read up on cycling

Glad your fish are surviving for now.

Do you still have a Molly in your 10g ?

What is current stock in your 10g ?

The tank just needed to be changed. It's was a little over a week and a half since I changed the water and it's all good now

Sent from a pelipper

Don't wait that long to do water changes. 10 days is too long. I often have to do water changes every 5-6 days. You're lucky you didn't lose any fish with nitrates that high.

Hi there. You've probably gotten enough answers by now, but I would say that zebra danios are a bad choice for betta tankmates. They are too fast, and always race and zip around the tank. They would steal the betta's food and stress him with their constant motion. And also, never keep 1 cory cat. They're schooling fish and like to dig and rest with buddies. As for the betta staying in one spot, the filter current might be pushing him into that spot. Has his color dulled any? If so, I would rehome the danios and move the betta to the 10 gallon. Or get rid of the 5 gallon's filter and replace it with 2 smaller ones. It might be hard to find filters that small though. If none of this helps, Buy a 5 gallon or bigger kritterkeeper and set it up with heating and filtration. Hope this helps! ~ExoticAquarist, signing out.

Back
Top Bottom