Betta acting weird?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Stellyboo

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey.. this is really weird but my mom wanted me to ask is it normal for bettas to ...play dead? Or do weird things for attention? .-. King is good and all regarding health but he’s just acting a bit weird. It’s very funny. Is it normal?

How long have you had him? What do you mean by playing died. Is he laying on the bottom of the tank. Cause that's how they rest. That's normal. They can be funny little fish. I know all 3 of mine are. They fit in my family very nicely. Lol!

How long have you had him? What do you mean by playing died. Is he laying on the bottom of the tank. Cause that's how they rest. That's normal. They can be funny little fish. I know all 3 of mine are. They fit in my family very nicely. Lol!

Like okay, one of my bettas sticks to the black filter upside down sometimes and we think he’s stuck and then when we go near the tank to see him he just swims away like he’s laughing at us. Lol I didn’t know betta go to the bottom to rest.

Like okay, one of my bettas sticks to the black filter upside down sometimes and we think he’s stuck and then when we go near the tank to see him he just swims away like he’s laughing at us. Lol I didn’t know betta go to the bottom to rest.
Some rest on the bottom others rest on leaves or in caves. If the filter is strong flow it's most likely sucking him in. If it's a sponge filter or low flow he's probably liking the feel of it. Some wrap their tails around filters. As long as its not ripping his tail or causing and damage to him I wouldn't worry about it. But if it's a strong flowing filter I'd turn the flow down on it. Of modify it to flow slower. The hang on the back filters are usually to strong for Betta's. Some modify them by putting a panty hose on the intake just so the don't hurt the tails of Betta's along with putting a sponge or something in front of the outtake flow to slow down the water. I like the sponge filters for mine. To much flow of water tires them out and they eventually become weak and sick. Stresses them out.

Some rest on the bottom others rest on leaves or in caves. If the filter is strong flow it's most likely sucking him in. If it's a sponge filter or low flow he's probably liking the feel of it. Some wrap their tails around filters. As long as its not ripping his tail or causing and damage to him I wouldn't worry about it. But if it's a strong flowing filter I'd turn the flow down on it. Of modify it to flow slower. The hang on the back filters are usually to strong for Betta's. Some modify them by putting a panty hose on the intake just so the don't hurt the tails of Betta's along with putting a sponge or something in front of the outtake flow to slow down the water. I like the sponge filters for mine. To much flow of water tires them out and they eventually become weak and sick. Stresses them out.

Thank you! :) My filter is okay. Not too strong, not too low.

Get him a hammock he/shey will rest in that besides on the bottom, what are the water parameters just to rule out water quality.

My Betta loves the floating log. IMG_2949.jpg.

He had one of those leaf hammocks but after I got the log he never used the leaf again.

My betta (named him Guppy cause he's a character) won't use the leaf hammock he prefers to lay in the fake plant attached to the top of a cave. I have him in a 10 gallon and he also likes to play "dead" on the bottom lol. Then he gets up and greets me and starts making his bubble nest after some food. How exactly do you place a sponge to reduce the flow from a HOB? The big Guppy has almond leaves that he tries to make a nest on but the flow moves them around.

My betta (named him Guppy cause he's a character) won't use the leaf hammock he prefers to lay in the fake plant attached to the top of a cave. I have him in a 10 gallon and he also likes to play "dead" on the bottom lol. Then he gets up and greets me and starts making his bubble nest after some food. How exactly do you place a sponge to reduce the flow from a HOB? The big Guppy has almond leaves that he tries to make a nest on but the flow moves them around.
I use to have a hang on the back filter with too high of a flow. All I did was wrap the intake with a thin sponge to slow the intake of water down, you can also (another thing I did) cut a green scotch pad and put in the filter area for the outtake flow. For the bubble nest I use a plastic lid float it and they can make the nest inside underneath it.

Sent from my HTCD100LVWPP using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I use to have a hang on the back filter with too high of a flow. All I did was wrap the intake with a thin sponge to slow the intake of water down, you can also (another thing I did) cut a green scotch pad and put in the filter area for the outtake flow. For the bubble nest I use a plastic lid float it and they can make the nest inside underneath it.

You can use a rubber band around the intake for the sponge.

Thanks Angel I have plenty of marineland filter foam I can play with. He will be much happier.

Get him a hammock he/shey will rest in that besides on the bottom, what are the water parameters just to rule out water quality.

The water is all good, I tested all the stuff with the API master kit. I can’t remember the numbers but it was good. My thermometer broke on the bottom and the little beads got in the water. :( I feel like that might make them sick. I hope they aren’t getting sick. They sometimes move around like before but they just go back to resting/laying down.

Change the water 100% asap! Same temp as it was. put him in a bowl same temp and keep him warm as you can, if you have to float the bowl in a sink full of the same temp as the tank. Or just use the tank water. What other fish do you have in the tank? And what size is the tank?

Change the water 100% asap! Same temp as it was. put him in a bowl same temp and keep him warm as you can, if you have to float the bowl in a sink full of the same temp as the tank. Or just use the tank water. What other fish do you have in the tank? And what size is the tank?

Two male bettas with divider and we already cleaned the tank last night to get rid of the stuff coming from the thermometer and the tank is 10gal.

Back
Top Bottom