Betta + ADF....not so good

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

barefootKATE

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I put ADFs in w/ my Betta. The frogs started chewing on my fish's tail. I do not recoment putting them together. Has this happened to anyone else?

wow, I have an ADF in with my Betta and so far the two hardly seem to notice one another. I will ave to keep close watch for now thoiugh. Was this in your 30 gallon?

no, my thirty gallon is due to be cycled soon...(when I get my new apartment....I didn't want to move the poor fish) I have a smaller tank 5 gal for my betta and frogs.

Can someone with experience elaborate on this please??? I thought ADF's were recomended to go with Betta's

actualy at first it was fine, the frogs were adorable and frogged around and the betta did its thing, just like it did when it was alone, but then i found the fish swiming around w/ a frog in tow...hanging on w/ the fish's tail in its mouth, and the tail is a bit tattered now

AshleyNicole, actually I did too. I read that ADFs, ghost shrimp and mystery snails were all good companions for a betta fish.

It can be a good combo.. I found ADF s are not good with my betta Trafalger since he is highly active... one frog leaped out and the other got sick and died.. Plus an ADF needs at least 2.5 gallons of h2o so space may have been an issue

Ghost shrimp, snails, ADFs (or cory cats in a big enough tank) can be placed with bettas, "with caution". Some people find that they get along fine, and others, like your experience, BarefootKATE, find that the two don't get along so well. I had a ghost shrimp once in my betta tank that only lived for a week. Another betta totally ignored the shrimp in his tank. I look forward to getting more ghost shrimp, but I won't put them in the betta tanks. I have read here that a betta chomped off a snail's antenna.

I would have thought that the betta would attack the ADF! However, when putting any type of tankmates in with bettas, it's always a good idea to have a "backup plan" - a tank of at least 5 gallons that you can put the betta into alone, or another tank for the ADFs.

Kim, was that the shrimp that bothered your fish the bamboo? What did it do? How did you fix the problem? Did your fish survive? Please tell us what happened!

Are you sure your ADF weren't really ACF?

fwiw: I had a female betta do fine with 4 ADF in a 10g for a couple months. I've since traded the frogs for cory swartzii (sp?) and they're good so far. There's 3 cherry barbs and nerite snails in there, too. She ate and killed ghost shrimp within hours of introduction in a 2.5g, and she's terrirorial. I've always read that we're gambling when we put any animals with Bettas, and figure large space, dense planting and/or lots of hiding places can only help our chances.

Good point, czcz -- the African dwarf frog could possibly have been an African clawed frog, which I would not recommended to even try with a betta. The ADF have webbed feet, and the ACF have claws.

There were two of them and I'm positive that they're ADF's It was the bamboo shrimp that they went after. I moved him to my cory tank. He's happy now.

Kim

An t-iasg said:
Good point, czcz -- the African dwarf frog could possibly have been an African clawed frog, which I would not recommended to even try with a betta. The ADF have webbed feet, and the ACF have claws.

Bother have webbed feet:p.I've kept both of them and i don't recommend acf's with fish. Adf's are ok with fish as long as the fish aren't agressive.

that was my thought reading this too.... could it have been a clawed frog marked as an adf by mistake. I know we have all had experiences with lfs being not quite so knowledgable as we would hope.

I don't know about frogs, but my betta and cory get along really well. Many times I catch them sleeping side by side on the floor of their aquarium at night. It's kinda cute.

Wow, sorry to hear about you experience. I have been keeping betta's and ADF's together for over 4 years and have never encountered any damage to anyone.

I would look into that. Could it be the water quality wasn't too good and the tail got damaged? Unless you actually saw first hand the frog nibbling on your Betta, I don't think it was the frogs.

Back
Top Bottom