Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-24-2006, 12:44 PM   #1
L2
Aquarium Advice Regular

Betta and African Dwarf Frog

Hi, I was curious. I just got an african dwarf frog and I put him in with my betta. He's in a small aquarium. It's properly filtered and planted... My betta is checking him out and sort of nipping at him. I'm worried he's going to try and eat him. I've read that african dwarf frogs and betta's should be compatible... What do you guys think? Will he be ok? Or should I remove him.

Any advice?

Thanks!

Old 06-24-2006, 01:11 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to hc8719 Send a message via MSN to hc8719
i've had my share of adf and as long as were talking african dwarf, and not the the african clawed frogs, (those albino dwarf frogs you see al walmart are africican dwarf calwed frogs) the betta should cool down, he just might be curious of a new creature, given he spent most of his life in solitude.

just a note about african dwarf clawed frogs (including the albino ones) they get very big,(the size of your fist) he attempted to swallow, and in the process killed a tiny reguar adf, when i placed 3 male albino cherry barbs (full grown) who were harassing my one female, in the clawed frogs tank, (i must have not fed him enough) because after 2 weeks, one day i saw only 2 barbs left, huh the cherry must of jumped out, so i checked around the tank, and nothing, but i thought him eatting one would be a tight fit in his stomach, within the next hour, another barb was gone, and the frog was looking pretty bloated, i removed the last barb and put him back with the female, who i guess without compitetion anymore, didnt have to harass.

recieving larger chromides as a gift, i put a divider in the frogs tank, and put them in, but the frog kept throwing himself at the divider in futile attempts to kill again, (the chromides lived)

my mom rescued an much smaller albino from walmart (why do they put them in those cups, and let them sit there for weeks until they die??!!!)
at first my largers frog ignored them, then apparently (recently) i found the baby frog dead. (i guess being too big to swallow, strangling was the next best thing for him)

*lesson learned: never put a living create in with african dwarf clawed frogs

but your african dwarf frog should be fine, get him a place to take shelter, as they love to hide

Old 06-24-2006, 02:52 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via MSN to guppy12
My betta killed my frog

Id remove the frog!!!!
BEFORE.... u take him to the white round tank with a silver handle
Old 06-24-2006, 03:21 PM   #4
L2
Aquarium Advice Regular

Really? I think he's finally getting used to him.
Old 06-24-2006, 06:46 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Puriti Send a message via MSN to Puriti Send a message via Yahoo to Puriti
I've had (in the past) 5 ADFs with a bunch of bettas before, never had a problem.
Old 06-24-2006, 06:54 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

every once in a while when my frog is floating on the top he'll get bit. No big deal. He bites sometimes too when he is arguing over some food. As long as it is all the time and he isn't getting repeatingly annoyed, I wouldn't worry.

How often do you notice it???? I've had mine for three years in with a bunch of barbs and they ignore him.
Old 06-24-2006, 11:40 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to tropicfishman
he was prolly checkin the frog out, gettin a sense for him, like when dogs sniff each other, fish can't sniff so they taste lol
Old 06-27-2006, 10:49 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

He should be fine as long as the ADF truly does have webbed hands. I have a betta with 2 ADF and they don't bother each other.
Old 06-27-2006, 01:46 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

my adf would bite at the 3" goldfish that lived with him to keep them off "his" bloodworms.

Tags
african, african dwarf frog, betta, dwarf, dwarf frog, frog

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com