Betta and Dwarf Gourami: recepie for disaster?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

henry1245

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi all,

So i asked my LFS for some advice (stupid i know!) on which fish would suit my community tank including my betta splenden, he suggested a Dwarf Gourami.

At first the betta flared up a bit but nothing more, and now on very rare occasion they have a bit of a showy stand off. However, this is becoming a rare occasion and there's been no nipping or fighting.

I read yesterday online that Bettas and Dward Gouramis should never be put together as they will smash each other to pieces.

My question is this: will they eventually kill each other or has anyone had any exoperience of them living in relative harmony?

I suppose you might get lucky, but I would expect them to harm each other eventually. There's really no way to know for sure. What size is the tank?

I have both a betta and dwarf gourami but not in the same tank. They are right next to each others' tanks and anytime the betta catches sight of the DG he just stares, like he is waving to his cousin.
I don't think I would have any problems in the same tank, but its not something I would try personally.
But you might get lucky from the sound of things!

Another issue you have is that if either are juveniles they will most likely grow more territorial as they get older.

Perhaps in a tank that size (roughly 30 gallons US correct?) they will be able to each stake out their own side piece of the tank and it will never go farther than some flaring / chasing etc. Especially if you have a lot of plants / hiding places. I have heard that in large enough tanks people have kept 2 male bettas...

In the end it will probably end up being more about the personalities of the fish. You may be fine, you may have trouble. I think at this point I would just keep a close eye on them and be prepared to re-home one if it gets bad....

I have one of each in my planted 55g and otter then some occasional flaring once in a blue they barely ever notice each other. They seem to bother the plattys more then anything else

Why don't you float him in a bag for a bit and check out the bettas reaction for a day or two... Of course do this with the bag opened and try to get some circulation in it or tou could try something else clear with holes.

I used to keep male betta fish together with no problem. Just make sure they're the same size or one will take charge.

Bad news update:

I went away overnight and when I came back, the Gourami was dead.

No evidence of marks or of him being attacked, and water paramters are fine.

I can only assume that he died from stress :-/

(although i didn't see any harassment previously).

I think it best that i don't replace him with another Drwaf Gourami!

I was thinking of waiting a couple of week's then perhaps get some Neon Tetra's - will these be ok or might they get eaten?

Sorry to here that. :( I've never tried Neons with my Betta fish but i've seen it before! :) Maybe just add them slowly so the betta doesnt get stressed. remember to try to get a small school. 4-6

Bad news update:

I went away overnight and when I came back, the Gourami was dead.

No evidence of marks or of him being attacked, and water paramters are fine.

I can only assume that he died from stress :-/

(although i didn't see any harassment previously).

I think it best that i don't replace him with another Drwaf Gourami!

I was thinking of waiting a couple of week's then perhaps get some Neon Tetra's - will these be ok or might they get eaten?
i've had success w/ neons and bettas

Will betta fish get along with an angelfish, cichlid, and dwarf gourami in a 55g?

Betta mix well with reg gourami but never with any dwarf species or its a disaster for sure and lucky those who do it! Even in 30 gal. Its a matter of time.

With reg gourami, danios, rasbora, molly, platy and guppy its perfect on three ways: same continent (better mix to make sure there is no sickness the fish is not prepare to resist coming from another continent), almost same water paramerer except molly if you put them in brackwarer as they should and last the behavior of each of these species is also cpmpatible. Compatible with lots of loach but not with skunk loach...

If we forget about same continent, you may had tetras, (no phantom, no silver tip, no serpae is better but possible if space is ok) barb ( the small one only) if space is ok but its a little risk as it works well in one of my two tank of barbs only. With angel it can be ok for a while but over time dont do it!!

Ive seen some with gold fish but i dont recommend on a long therm.

Never with cichlid (any type of non dwarf) but apistogramma (cacatuoides, agassisi, viejita, macmasteri) and dwarf cichlid who never go more than 2 inch its ok.

Thats almost all of what can go with betta!

Thank

This really confuses me. Everyone says to me, gouramis + bettas = fail. gouramis + gouramis = fail. I have kept 6 gouramis, 2 dwarf (male), 2 kissers and 2 pearls (male) in the same tank WITH a betta (also male), they were so happy for years. Until I got a mollie that had an illness (didn't show at the time when I put him in and I didn't have a QT back then) he wiped out my betta and most of my gouramis.. But I still have the two kissers, they live with a betta, don't ever bother with each other, just like before. I would say I got lucky, but with 7 fish that all are 'kind'? Also with my ones that I have just now.. They all lived in my 48 gal :)

Kissing gourami is not a dwarf, so its ok but need space to live with betta because its more aggressive than other gourami.

Dwarf gourami and betta the day they see each other that will be a fight, they can survive but its never a good choice.
Just an opinion

What would you guys recommend I get as a larger fish for my tank? I've got neons, betta, danios, corys and clown plecs. Tank has sand, plants and driftwood.

P.S. if nobody trusts me I'll post some old pics! ;)

Back
Top Bottom