Betta and food

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jarred Darque

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have been feeding my betta betta pellets. He eats them.. I moved him to his new 5 gallon home, (A nice looking tnak I might say) Anyways, can I get him onto flake food? and if so, how?

I personally prefer the pellets. You could skip a feeding or two, by which time he'll be hungry enough to eat watever hits the water. Don't take this as starvation by any means, but I know it works with other fish.

I prefer the pellets too. My bettas like Hikari Betta Gold pellets, and also freeze-dried bloodworms and daphnia. I tried to give my first two bettas some flake food and they didn't really like it, so I stuck with the pellets and freeze-dried food. You can certainly try to get your betta to eat flakes but don't feed them flakes exclusively.

Bettas usually won't eat flakes, unless really hungry--the flakes, unlike pellets, don't even begin to resemble their natural prey of small insects and insect larvae--and generally speaking, the flakes don't have all the nutrients they need. I'd recommend just staying on the pellets, as those are usually dead-on what bettas need nutritionally. Out of curiosity, why do you want them to switch to flakes? I've always found pellets to be less polluting and easier to portion.

Also, if you like, you can shake things up by giving your betta some dried or frozen bloodworms--they usually go nuts for those--or any of the other smaller worms you can find at the LFS. I sometimes even toss a small moth from around my house into one of my tanks--something about attacking live prey gets some of my bettas very worked up.

Whatever the case is, if you decide you still want to switch your betta to flakes, just don't feed him anything but them. After a while he'll get hungry enough to give them a try, and you never know, maybe yours will have a taste for them. Just check the nutritional facts on the flakes (compare them to pellets or other betta foods) and see how they do in that regard. Watch out for the knock-off cheap brands; those won't do your betta any good.

If you really want to go with flakes, there is a flake designed for bettas called BettaMin. Even had dried brine shrimp mixed in there.

Mine actually did like the flakes, but their on frozen foods now.

my old betta would NOT eat the pellets. I had to feed him flake and I have been on my other bettas too. They love it!

I feed the bettamin flakes

My betta goes crazy for freeze dried blood worms!! He practically jumps out of the water for them!

Back
Top Bottom