Betta and Guppies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blueramboy87

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I am looking for a centerpiece to finish up the stocking of my ten gallon. I currently have 6 neon tetras and 3 guppies. I'm thinking of maybe a betta but I'm not sure whether or not there may be issues with nipping between the betta and those guppies. So what do you guys think. Would this work out?

Probably not. The guppies and tetras would probably become lunch. I would do something else.

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

Probably not. The guppies and tetras would probably become lunch. I would do something else.

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

Probably not lunch... Just harassed a lot. Bettas and guppies normally don't work because of the bright coloration of guppies. Try a sparkling gourami.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Actually, guppies and bettas usually do fine together. There may be the hyper aggressive betta like mine that won't allow anything, but for the most part they are okay tank mates. If you can go with feeder guppies or ones that don't have long vibrant fins then it'd be better...but there is recorded success with fancy guppies and bettas.

Here's just one thread of a woman who had to keep guppies with her betta, http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=65012

If you just google bettas with guppies you'll get a bunch of results. They're even on a few "recommended tankmates" lists.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Betta will destroy guppys and neons. Then he will also probably get sick from stress

Sent from my SM-G900F using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Okay, well how about we all settle for it depends on the personality of said betta. Some will work, some will not. I would try a female for a better chance of getting one that's passive and have a back of plan

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Speaking from experience, dependent on the size of your guppies, they will be lunch I had 8 1 month old guppy fry in with my betta and 5 became lunch (this was a year ago), still have 2 guppies with him my 2 bigger guppies harassed and stressed the smaller one till it died, on and the first guppies picked off for lunch were the males, so just take caution and remember if they are small enough they may be lunch

Back
Top Bottom