Betta and Guppies together?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sayuncle

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 2 1/2 gallon tank with 3 guppies in it; can I add a male betta to the mix and be Okay? The first thing that came to my mind was the betta getting fin nipped but on the other hand guppies are so peaceful maybe not. Does anyone have first hand experience with these two?

I had a 10 gallon with 6 neon tetras and a betta. My LFS told me I could add 3 male guppies to the setup with no problems. Unfortunately, the betta killed one of the guppies so I decided to take the other 2 back before there were any more casualties. I wouldn't try it.

It is generally recommended against. The betta will see the fancy guppys as rival males and will attack them. Eventually he will kill them. It might be ok in a larger tank but not in a little tank like that. Besides in my opinion you are fully stocked alraedy.

OK guys that is why I asked! I will not mix the two.

Thank you very much! :D

First hand experience: Several years ago, we had a 5 gal tank and stocked it with two "Siamese Fighting Fish", which is what bettas were sold as then. We wanted something small to fit in the tank and got three fancy guppies. Within two days, all three guppies and a betta were dead. I won't go into details about what the fish looked like as they were being removed from the tank. :(

if you get a bigger tank and they (guppies) dont have enormous fins then it would be okay.
I have 6 guppies and a betta in a 10 gallon and i thought the guppies would attack it, well instead the betta attacked the males with long fins.
When it gets used to them and its well fed then there isnt a real bad problem.
BUt in your tank it would get annoyed real quick and attack them.

The thing is, betta's will attack anything that they see looks like another male betta... and guppies have a similar body shape, tails, etc. So i wouldn't chance it.

the betta, if he doesn't have a particularly bad temperament, may not actually KILL the guppies, but attack them until the fins are nearly gone and he doesn't see them as a threat anymore.

then they guppies will die because, well, they're half-eaten.

it's a sad situation.

but if you get a female betta, they'd be fine (if your tank wasn't already stocked)

If I tried putting guppies in with my bettas they'd thank me for the meal. I'd only do it if the guppies had lots of places to hide.

hmm. success here
although ill admit betta gave up eventually when casper the friendly baby black ghost knife fish was put into the tank for a month.

Back
Top Bottom