Betta and other fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Calypso77

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Right now I have a Male Betta in a 2 gal heated tank. I have an empty almost cycled 10 gal tank that I thought of moving him to. My problem is I hate to have one lone fish in a tank. Is there any other fish I could put in there with him and they would get along? I have had him for roughly 6 month and he has been alone this whole time.

A Betta is fine on his own, adding more fish to 10g is a balancing act and you would have to do small fish which could up as snacks, remember he is a fighter, anything to flashy might attract attention. You could try Chilli Rasboras, Scarlet Badis, Galaxy Rasboras they might or might not work. You could add Ghost shrimp.

Calypso77 said:
Right now I have a Male Betta in a 2 gal heated tank. I have an empty almost cycled 10 gal tank that I thought of moving him to. My problem is I hate to have one lone fish in a tank. Is there any other fish I could put in there with him and they would get along? I have had him for roughly 6 month and he has been alone this whole time.

I have my betta in a 10g with 6 cardinal tetras, 3 algae eating shrimp, 2african dwarf frogs, and a mystery snail.

Definitely move the betta, 2 gallons is way too small for a betta. They need five gallons or more. What fish do you plan to stock with? Neon tetras are usually great tankmates for bettas.

Thanks everyone. I will play it by ear. Might just leave him in the 2 gal where he is happy.

I have 2 male Bettas in their own 10g tanks & to me it's perfect. They like all the swimming space & no stress having to share.

I don't have the space or money to have the 10 gal set up for just 1 fish. I won't leave it taking up space for just 1 can't do that.

If you put the betta in a ten gallon, you can have some neon tetras or small cory catfish as company. It doesn't have to be one fish.

IF you're not gonna move the betta, at least upgrade to a five gallon tanks. Two gallons really aren't ideal for them.

I don't mean to sound rude but I never asked to be judged on my size of tank. Everyone is entitled to their opinion that is great but my Betta is perfectly fine in a 2 gal tank. This is not my first rodeo. Thanks for your opinion though.

Calypso77 said:
I don't mean to sound rude but I never asked to be judged on my size of tank. Everyone is entitled to their opinion that is great but my Betta is perfectly fine in a 2 gal tank. This is not my first rodeo. Thanks for your opinion though.

We are trying to make both you and your betta happy. A five gal tank is bare minimum IMO for a betta, unless you have the time to do fifty percent changes daily

Calypso77 said:

Mines is in a 10g tank with 2 neon tetras im bumping it up to six in a few days along with a zebra snail neons would be good stay away from bright colors and long fins

Thanks Vance for that info. I hear neon tetras are cool little fish. They aren't too small to go in with a Betta tho?

We are trying to make both you and your betta happy. A five gal tank is bare minimum IMO for a betta, unless you have the time to do fifty percent changes daily

Exactly. No need to get so snippy. A betta will never be truly happy in such a small tank. Would you like to live in a closet? At least move the betta to the ten gallon so he can actually spread his fins.

Calypso77 said:
Thanks Vance for that info. I hear neon tetras are cool little fish. They aren't too small to go in with a Betta tho?

My betta dosent bother mine since mine are full size im sure of they come small he might go after them just feed him heavily before or put the neons in first then the betta other that mine get along

When I start having problems keeping Bettas in 2 gal tanks I will look into something else to keep them in. Until then they have always been perfectly happy and healthy. I have Never had any problems with the way I keep my Bettas. Could be worse.

Here's a deal, I will house my fish the way I do and you house yours the way you do.

Thanks for all the help, criticism and all the above very much appreciated. :)

My betta dosent bother mine since mine are full size im sure of they come small he might go after them just feed him heavily before or put the neons in first then the betta other that mine get along

Oh great thank you.

Calypso77 said:
Oh great thank you.

Your welcome snails and african dwarf frogs are ok too dont do zebra danios i was gunna do them but i researched and they can nip all depends though

Your welcome snails and african dwarf frogs are ok too dont do zebra danios i was gunna do them but i researched and they can nip all depends though

Ok. Ya don't think I could do a frog..lol they creep me out. ;)

Back
Top Bottom