Betta and Others? Sand Stirring?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

newgirl

Aquarium Advice Regular
The background:

Yesterday I picked up a small female betta who's owner didn't want her anymore - I got a 6.6 gallon fluval chi a few days earlier (not cycled - I know not a good idea but I wasn't expecting to get another fish - she was living in a tiny bowl and didn't know what her previous owner was going to do with her so no time to cycle).

I was worried as the Chi isn't the best tank for a betta as so tall - have a leaf hammock near the top for her and as she is female she swims better than that males.

Was also concerned about the swimming space in a taller tank but when I got her I was less concerned as she is tiny!!! A bit bigger than a large guppy so she seems fine with the space.

I have added some seeded media from an existing cycled tank and will do 30% water changes to help her out (she has heater and filter).

The question:

1. How do I know in future if she would be okay with a companion or two (tiny companions as a 6.6 isn't a lot of space) - she has lived alone in a small bowl so have no idea if she will get along with anything else. I do have a 15g tropical if I needed to move something out (I will wait a while until 6.6 is cycled).

2. Do I need to stir the sand? I am usually a gravel person - as the space is so small I didn't want to get MTS which breed a lot. I have two plants in there and am worried about anaerobic sand pockets.

Thank you for any help!

1. There really arent many easily available fish that can go in a tqnk that size. You might try shrimp, but thats really hit or miss. Ghost shrimp would be a safer bet than rcs.

2. Just ignore the sand. The anaerobic pockets can form, but its a myth that theres any risk to your fish from them.

Back
Top Bottom