Betta Aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Fish can communicate with you... They have body language and emotions..
So yes, you can tell when they are stressed from there enviroment..

I guess greenmagi is right. If the fish is stressed you'll know it is because it would be acting weirdly(such as laying on the bottom or somthing)^_^

as this has been said countless amount of times, we will never be able to literally talk....but body language and actions will help, and everyone has their own opinions and ideas, so it will never be resolved...and its great that each of us have our own view point because how boring would life be if we all think the same, the best part is the fact that everyone has something to back up their thought...so that never makes anyone COMPLETELY wrong or COMPLETELY right, we just do what we can, in this situation he's doing what he can with what he has and we all know that he wishes much more if he had the money and space and he has bright idears!!

back to azn_fishy....just a betta will work my son(lol) no more, maybe some ghost shrimp or amano for the bottom but nothing more, because you obviously want a happy healthy fish and i know you will do your best to keep it that way!

:invasion:

Blazeherd2306 said:
What do they do when they don't like the size of the tank they're in?

They generally dont know that there tank is too small from my experiance, if you dont know what the signs of stress are then they just seem to get sick and die early.. that makes it very important to learn what the signs of stress are, and to just plain to your research before buying.... hope this helps..

Okie doeky...I have the tank set-up right now. How long should I wait to get the fish? And ghost and/or amano shrimp(GREAT idea...never thought of that^_^)

They generally dont know that there tank is too small from my experiance, if you dont know what the signs of stress are then they just seem to get sick and die early.. that makes it very important to learn what the signs of stress are, and to just plain to your research before buying.... hope this helps..

I know...that was my whole point, just don't buy fish and put them in a tank that is too small for them and assume they will be okay/happy.

Andrew-I think a betta and a few shrimp for algae control is a great idea.

If you can get the tank seeded with gravel from an established tank along with dead shrimp (not sure if one shrimp is overdoing it for a 2 gal) then it shouldn't take that long. Do you have a test kit? If not, you should really get one.

(I have never done fishless cycling, so please correct me if I gave bad info)

you could put some fish food in there and let it sit for a week and see if you can get ammonia levels

A fishless cycle usually takes up to two weeks... try doing a serch for it hear on the fourm.. there is alot of information on fishless cycling here already.. we really need an artical on this.. Im pretty sure we dont have one of those yet.. ack!

Uhhhh...I haven't purchased fish food yet. Do you think the Hikari brand betta food and their freeze dried bloodworms is good for the betta.

ummmm.....having problem trying to reduce the current of my whisper filter. Since bettas don't like alot of water movement I thought I should reduce it but...I don't know :oops:

*sigh* the heater I bought is actually a tank warmer...I'll have to get a new one...does any one have any particular heaters that are made for small tanks?

my local walmart has a heater for 2 to 5 gallon tanks ... I have seen the same one around other stores for triple the price /// the whisper may be too much ... small world by penn plax works good and mini elcipse is great and cheap at under 10$

off my three bettas only one eats betta gold ... hbh betta bites and sera pellets work for all my fish .. the dried bloodworms should be mostened before feeding better yet get some frozen:)

Did you turn down the water flow of the Whisper filter? I said before that my Whisper filter was called a mini. I looked at the box and it's called a micro filter. Anyway, it has a sliding switch on the back that you can slide back and forth for more, or less, water movement. There's a triangle design on the switch -- slide toward the triangle point and that's the setting for the least amount of water flow. If this setting still provides too much water movement, check out the Small World filter or Azoo palm filter. I'm wondering if the mini Eclipse filter would be the same as the Whisper filter you have -- too strong for a 2 gallon tank.

I looked at the Jungle website for the tank warmer you mentioned and didn't find one. I think (not positive, because I don't have one) that tank warmers are for reptile tanks. I have seen the small heaters that megladonsharky mentioned at Wal-Mart, and I have the small Hydor heater, linked by jibboo earlier in the thread. I like the Hydor mini heater, but you have to follow the directions and not place the tank under a light or the water will get very hot, about 90 degrees.

My bettas eat the Hikari Gold pellets and freeze-dried bloodworms. I soak the pellets in a cup of tank water for about 2 minutes before feeding them to the bettas, and I soak the bloodworms for about a half a minute. Dry foods can cause bloating if they are not moistened first; otherwise, the food can absorb moisture in the fish's stomach and swell up.

the mini eclipse is smaller than the small world and has no air pump...I have one on a two gallon and very little water movement

Yeah, on my Whisper I was able to turn down the water flow on my whisper filter. I think my tank is going great so far but I still don't have those test kits. Which ones do I need? And my heater is only pre-set as a tank warmer meaning it doesn't turn off by itself, so I have too unplug it. So I need a heater, does anyone know any heaters that are made for 2 gallon tanks?

Back
Top Bottom