Betta behavior

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sent you my thoughts about this in a PM. Will see what others think. I don't think they need to flare daily, but during breeding, they do flare often. Any others out there that know more on this, please correct me if I'm wrong. I'm more of a tropical and dwarf cichlid person myself. :)

They don't need to flare everyday, per se, but it's generally agreed that bettas do better with regular exercise and stimulation. With my bettas, I keep their tanks next to each other so they can display to each other, with hiding places provided so they don't get over-stressed. If you only have one betta, though, then just putting a mirror up to the tank for a while every day or every other day would achieve the same result. The time period your betta should be stimulated varies based on the individual fish, but a half hour a day/every other day is probably a good starting point. Just see how he takes that and go from there.

Good luck!

I just got a betta today but others I've spoken with agree with the sentiment that they need to flare every so often. I intetnd to take a mirror to work to give him some a few days a week.

I have read that bettas housed closely together will show a better coloration, but I don't know that I would make a betta flare often. Every day or even every other day is a bit much IMO. A happy, healthy betta will display and "stretch" out while swimming without necessarily flaring. I held a mirror up to one of my first bettas to get a picture and he wouldn't stop flaring and swimming around frantically for 10 minutes. That's the last time I ever did the mirror trick to a betta. Yes, they are all different, but IMO it's not necessary.

I would disagree that keeping bettas in sight of each other or stimulated with a mirror is unecessary or harmful.

One thing that might help your opinion about keeping bettas next to each other is the fact that they get used to each other very quickly, and so they are not continually flaring at each other and being stressed (as is the case with the first encounter with a mirror or rival betta), but rather displaying very occaisionally throughout the day. Sometimes I go up to a week without seeing a flare, and it's not like my tanks are where I barely see them.

There was also a study (which my Google-fu has now failed me in finding again) on the brain chemistry of bettas while showing aggressive behaviours, and it found that the chemicals released were the same ones associated with pleasure, with the conclusion being that aggressive behaviour was actually rewarding (which makes sense from an evolutionary standpoint).

In light of this, with all of the many bettas I've kept over the years, I always try and give them a decent amount of stimulation. Bettas kept alone show duller colors (which is important not just for aesthetic reasons, but for health ones, as well), are more apt to just stay at the bottom of their tanks, and in my eyes, not get the exercise necessary for a long life (mine all live over two years, barring catastrophic illness, so I know my practices aren't killing them young).

Take from that what you will, I guess.

I'll say this I have breed and rasied betta's for the last 5 yrs. The flaring of a betta Is not something you want them to do every day or make them do everyday. The flaring of a betta is a sign his pissed off. Not anything more then a act of aggrstion. By making a betta flare your in fact upsetting the betta and there for causeing undo stress on the fish. Betta's have been breed for 100's of year to do nothing but fight and even thou 99% of all betta's bought today have never been fought a day in there life. Put it close to another male and it's frist reaction is to attack the other fish. It's not being playful. It's not showing off to the point of I look better then you do. It's flat saying I'll kill you if you come any closer.
By making your betta flare at either it's reflection or another betta you are in fact. Upseting this fish for no reason at all other then to make it look pretty to you. Flaring is done for two reason and two reason only.

1. To so it's wilness to fight the other fish it thanks it see in the glass or the the other fish close to it.

2. It's a sign for the female to see how tuff it is to spawn.

Anybody that's ever breed betta's will tell you. Even just in spawning the male is so mean it will kill a female to get what it wants. Nothing more then just saying it's the boss and you'll give me what I want or else's. For those of you who havn't seen this here's a piture of a female right after spawning with a HM palkat { half moon }

f0c0ad93.jpg

Now if he will do this just to spawn why would anyone thank that making a fish mad just to see his true colors is ok. I don't under stand. Yes they'll flre on there own from time to time. But why would you house a male close to another male just to make him flare. IMO that just mean. I can keep two blue males from the same fry in the same tank for up to 8 months. But after that you had better get them apart or they will start fighten. Never been fought never will be. But it's there the willingness to kill another of it's kind. Born in them and will be for genaration after genaration.
No matter what you do it's there. This is a fish that oz for oz is the meanest fish alive. If this fish was the size of any of the preaditers out there on the market it would kick any of them's A_ _ and even kill it. oz for oz pd for pd it's the meaest fish alive and that's no lie.
For those who keep the betta in a 1/2g to 1g jar or gold fish bowl and thanks this fish to be happy. For those of you who say it comes from small bodys of water and there for can be housed in a small bowl.
Does this look like a small body of water to you?
http://www.bettadreams.com/ricepaddies.html

I'm sorry if I steped on anyones toes or feeling with this post. If i did I apolagize. But this is a fish I love and and will do my part to see that it's not treated like a peace of you know what. I've wrote over 300 letters to wal-mart and other LFS and the human socitey to help stop the shipping and storage of the betta in a cup not big enought for a bunble bee goby much less a beautifal fish who by all means isn't the tamest of fish. But it's not the fish it's the human who bred this fish to fight and kill over and over and over for 100yrs. This fish has been hard wire to be a killer and nothing more for so long. That no matter how many time a spices is rebred this killer still lies under the beautie of the long fins and bright colors.
So there for when you place a male either in with or beside another just to see it flare and show it's color you are in fact frocing it to show this killer that it was bred to be and by doing so you are frocing this clam fish to get upset just for your pleasure!!

Now I'll leave you with this.
If you truly call your self a fish lover and will do everything you can to insure your fish is happy and health. Then why would you place your fish in a situwaytion that would upset him to a point of driving him mad with anger?
Just to see a differnts in his color of maybe 5% brighter?
When in fact the betta will show it's true beautie just by feeding it and loving it and caring for it with the right mix of high protain foods and giving it the room you'd give your other fish.

Again I apolagie if I have said anything to upset anyone and have steped on any toes.

For I'm a true fish lover and this out all my fish I own is my very faverite and they have been mistreated for year and years. So it's time to brake away from the normal so called care of the betta and treat it as a equal among fish and by no means will they get use to each other being a fighting fish and you can not say that your betta got use to each there over time. If it takes it 3 weeks to get so called use to each other is that fair to him to stay pissed off for that 3 weeks. Then once he's moved away from the other betta for 2 mins. Place him back beside him after that shot off time and it will start all over again. Why would you do that to a fish.
I can take a male from the fry tank for no more then 2mins. and place him back in the tank and he is automatily seen as a introuder and froced to fight to stay alive, in it's own home. Sorry that's crual and dispointing as a fish love to force this on another fish.
the frist picture didn't come hrow so this try it here
f0c0afd0.jpg

I can honestly say, weasel, that I have just learned more about Betta's than I ever have. I was under the misconception that Bettas tolerate(?) small water areas.

I have take the betta that was given to me by my neighbor, and recently placed it in a 2.5 gallon tank (which I built a custom stand/canopy for). He seems much happier.

My personal experience with him says that he flares at his reflection in the side of the tank. I am not sure how I can combat that behavior.

Well, you can't stop the tank from reflecting. As for the 2.5 gallon, that is kind of small. Bettas can be kept in smaller tanks but I wouldn't keep one in any less than a 5 gallon.

Storing them in cups is a terrible way of shipping them but I think the bigger problem is there is not another solution. If you store them in the same tank they kill each other, right? I do agree, the cups are bad, but has anyone offered a better solution? The option is to store them in cups or don't sell them. If nobody sells them then we just can't get the opportunity to raise these beautiful fish. However, I do believe they should not be set beside each other on the shelf. It wouldn't be hard for them to leave cardboard dividers to seperate the cups (to prevent stress). The downside to this is that their customers would have to actually pull the cup out to see them but I could think of worse things.

That's an excellent post Weasel...you know more about Bettas I think than most anyone I've ever spoken to and definately have given us food for thought. The only reason I have been given to make them flare is that there has been research into it. But I know that my mom, for instance, kept her betta alive for over 3 years with nothing other than extremely dedicated care (she was so committed to keeping that water changed regurally...I was proud. Why won't she do it for the 20g she has? ;) )

I do think that posting the rice paddies aren't really that fair though. I mean, no aquarium comes close to the size of any natural body of water. My 55g at home can't be compared to the Amazon river that I'm trying to emulate.

Bettas are known, however, to live in mud puddles, rice paddies and slow moving bodies of water. A properly maintained, small aquarium, should be just fine for one of these fish.

Bettes are a lot like people...they all have personalities...some are very peaceful ,some are downright mean.

to combat the flaring in the glass, you could tape dark construction paper on the side walls, which should reduce their 'mirror like' effect for him so he can't see his reflection to flare at.

MSU Fan said:
I can honestly say, weasel, that I have just learned more about Betta's than I ever have. I was under the misconception that Bettas tolerate(?) small water areas.

I have take the betta that was given to me by my neighbor, and recently placed it in a 2.5 gallon tank (which I built a custom stand/canopy for). He seems much happier.

My personal experience with him says that he flares at his reflection in the side of the tank. I am not sure how I can combat that behavior.

I love that tank so much. You really did a great job on it. My betta setup is a bit sillier than that ;) What filter are you using there?

Attachments

• gatorhome_100.jpg
    gatorhome_100.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 19
it's a sand shark, but I have to do something about that...the betta does not like the current. And I have the shark at the lowest setting. I am going to try aiming the filter at the glass to diffuse the current a bit, but otherwise, I have to go to PetSmart tonight for doggy training, so I am going to check out their other small filters. I have to find something and soon!

Codefox said:
I do think that posting the rice paddies aren't really that fair though. I mean, no aquarium comes close to the size of any natural body of water. My 55g at home can't be compared to the Amazon river that I'm trying to emulate.

Bettas are known, however, to live in mud puddles, rice paddies and slow moving bodies of water. A properly maintained, small aquarium, should be just fine for one of these fish.

Yes tha's true most home tanks will never be anything like the true home they come from. The main reason for posting the link was to show prople who thank the betta comes from a small body of water. That that's not true.

Do you have pictures of your bettas? I'd love to see shots from someone who breeds them. :)

Weasel said it all and said it great! Why do people purposely stress their fish by making them flare? My research has shown that the more they flare the shorter their lifespan because of the stress associated with it. Since I don't breed Bettas (but sure love mine) and there is, apparently, differing opinions on this subject... I would chose to err on the side of caution and not cause my boy to flare.

well codefox, since the ekip thermofilter is rated for 5-16 gallon tank, I am going to assume it is going to make a nice current. I am turning my filter to face the wall tonight to see how the betta likes it tomorrow. considering the home i built him, i think he needs a name...time to consult the wife (it's her turn to name an animal!).

Back
Top Bottom