Betta Bungalow - 2.0

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Larry Little

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello Everyone --

Well, I broke down the old set-up and built an undergravel filter for the oddly shaped tank. I cut a piece of "egg-crate" light shield (plastic open 1/2" grid panel) and hot-glued small pieces of the same material beneath to raise the panel above the bottom of the tank. I covered the panel with two pieces of 3/16" window air conditioner filter material. The whole thing is basically washable when I need to break it down. It fits snugly in the tank and has about a 1" layer of gravel on top acting as the physical/bacterial substrate. 3 lift tubes with air lines run the system.

The whole system has been running for two weeks without a hitch. I have 3 mystery snails in the tank. The water chemistry has been at or near zero for all parameters. I'll begin getting one Betta for each compartment in about another week, probably one/week toallow for chemistry adjustments.

I am having some pretty substantial algae growth on the glass; thinking I might get a few more mystery snails to help with that. Other than that, I think I just might have figured out my chemistry stability issues.

I'll keep you all posted.

Back
Top Bottom