Betta color change possibility?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cassidy2051

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, do we thinking my betta is going to change colors? He's newly purchased from a pet store where he was kept in horrible conditions, and I am wondering if his coloring might change as he gets healthier. Also, how old do we think he might be?

Attachments

• 20220918_125631.jpg
    20220918_125631.jpg
    198.3 KB · Views: 26
  • 20220918_142741.jpg
    20220918_142741.jpg
    252.2 KB · Views: 21
Yes bettas can change colour. Stress and illness can cause a betta to look washed out. Fishes colour can also change depending on its environment and age.

Good for you for giving the little fellow a better world. Getting over his formal stressful life will certainly help him become the beauty he is meant to be. Consider including color pellets to his diet, they will help.

Pet stores try to have fast turnover so the majority of bettas are 6-12 months, though having one around for a whole year is not profitable for them. From your picture, he looks small, so I'm guessing closer to 6 mo.

Bettas have interesting scales in that there can be multiple color layers within the scale. So you add to the causes such as stress or excitement or health, the fish's genetics which can make the fish change color over time. So if you want to keep a Betta that definitely won't change color, you need to get an old fish. That said, getting an old fish means you will not have them long since they have a rather short lifespan. If you get a young fish, you will only really know what you are getting, maybe, if you can see the parents. The good news about the young fish is that you should have them for a long time and their final coloring will be a long awaited surprise. :)

Back
Top Bottom